Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
show me your beds!

Posted by chris_ont 5a Ont (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 19:25

Hi
I would appreciate seeing images of whole cannas as they appear in the garden. A lot of the photos here are just close ups of blooms.

However, I'm looking for ideas of how many to plant together, how they fit into your landscape, what they can be planted with, backgrounds, combinations, and other landscape ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: show me your beds!

You can plant as many as you can find or afford!

There's a huge, breathtaking garden of them at a city park in East Dallas.

The designers built rounded berms to cushion the recreation buildings & ballfields from the noise of a busy street, & planted cannas "wall to wall" on those berms, shorter ones toward the street & playing fields, taller ones in the middle.

Cannas need protection from strong winds, which will catch those big leaves like sails & whip them to shreds, & they do better if they aren't crowded right together competing for nutrients (don't know how fast they'll spread in Ontario, but you'll have to dig them out & separate them as they multiply.)

Even here in Texas, they love full sun, so I'd probably look for a southern exposure, maybe even a warm brick or stone wall for extra heat.

I have some coral canna indica Indian shot close to a big coral honeysuckle;
it's beautiful, & supposedly both plants are attractive to hummingbirds (I never can see hummers, but my neighbor assures me they're there!)

Best luck, & enjoy!

o

Hi! I know I'm a few months late in replying, but I don't usually visit this part of the forums. Some of the nicest canna beds I've seen are simple a bed of cannas (usually oval or circular beds) with clean edges cut into the grass (no bricks/boarder between bed and grass, just a nice cut edge on the grass). Some other really nice canna beds I've seen are circular filled with cannas, and elephant's ears edging the rim of the bed.

o

• Posted by mcbdz 8 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 16, 09 at 9:52

Here's a few of mine.
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z308/urraymcbdz/cannas/?action=viewt=june2009fl2376.jpg

just look through. These where over a month ago so they are much fuller and bigger now.
Pattie

Here is a link that might be useful: My cannas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here