Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Anyone ID this Beautiful Canna?

Posted by thatcrazyplantlady z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 11:57

This is a tall canna, 6-7 ft tall with green foliage. It also makes lots of seeds, which should distinguish it from others. I've searched Karchesky cannas and other online catalogs and can't find it anywhere. I've found one that is similar called Costa Rica but the site didn't have a good closeup of it, so I can't be sure it's the same. It's an older canna, not a new introduction, so maybe someone here knows who it is.

Thank you for your time.

Image link: Can Anyone ID this Beautiful Canna? (40 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Anyone ID this Beautiful Canna?

I'm probably not any help but it looks like the first Canna I ever saw and started my love of Canna. It grew in the back yard of a house I bought 20 years ago.

Mine turned out to be Cleopatra, but the red on yours is more runny. Mine the red is more of a once in awhile fully red pedal. Here's the best description of Cleopatra I've seen:

http://www.smgrowers.com/info/cannacleo.asp

Also see Yellow King Humbert.

Mine were 5-6' as I remember, but may have been 7'.

Your picture doesn't show the leaves or seed pods. The picture at San Marcos also shows the spent blooms which are pale as shown. The spent blooms on yours seems to hold their color.

The once in awhile leaf with broad maroon stripes on Cleopatra is a good tell too, but only happens once in awhile as they state.

Taney has more of the runny red vs spots.
http://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/cannas/66880
But it seems to come in lots of colors. Don't know the proper name.

o

Hi Waterbug, thanks for replying. It's definitely NOT Cleopatra, Yellow King Humbert or Taney. All of those have the big, gladiola style blooms. Mine has small, tubular blooms, shaped more like Robert Kemp, which is a red blooming daylily. I've grown Cleo and YKH. YKH, by the way, doesn't produce seeds. Also, YKH is just another name for Florence Vaughn.

A canna hybridizer has ID'ed my canna as Tama Tulipa, an old variety. It seems to match both in picture and details. It's an awesome canna and is giving me tons of seeds, unlike any canna I've ever had.

Thanks for the suggestions.

o

Cleopatra doesn't produce seed? If you say so.

o

I didn't say Cleo doesn't produce seeds. I said Cleo has large blooms; mine has tiny tubular blooms (like honeysuckle almost). I said Yellow King Humbert (aka Florence Vaughn) doesn't produce seeds. Many cannas will produce sterile, empty seedpods. I haven't grown Cleo in a while, so I can't remember if it produces seeds or not.

o

Sorry, I missed a period.

o

I don't even get sterile seeds from my Cleopatras.

o

Have you gotten an answer yet? I tried to tell you about another site to post to but I was blocked. Send me a private email and I will tell you where you might get an answer. Do you have any extra seeds to trade?
Roxanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here