Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emxry

canna seed germination - help please

emxry
19 years ago

I drilled little holes in various types of canna seeds so I could see the white part in the seed. I put them in warm water and set them on top of my electric baseboard heaters to keep the water warm. After 6 days, NOTHING. They haven't started to sprout at all. I can still see the white part where I drilled a hole but I can't believe that different seeds from different places from different cannas are all not sprouting. It must have been something I did!

Can anybody help me?

Thanks for any help!

Catherine

Comments (5)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    19 years ago

I checked my records and last year it took 10 days for my canna seed to sprout. I'm not sure if continual soaking is the way to go. I chipped my seed, soaked for 2 days and then planted them in pots and kept warm. Another possibility is that you cooked the seed on top of the basebboard heater. Those things can get hot. When I've used my radiatos for keeping things warm, I always put a 1 inch thick board underneath the pots so they don't come in direct contact with the radiator. The more I think about it, I think that's what happened to yours. Sorry.

Kevin

• jenna1
    19 years ago

Other than cooking them and killing the embryo, it could also be the time of year which would result in taking longer if you're using natural light as well as heat.

I've always filed each seed until I see the white. Then put them into hot, hot water. I then change the water every day, using warm water until I see them starting to sprout. I've never used any type of heating device, whether during the cold months or warm months and always put them in my kitchen window in a clear container. The winter seeds always have taken longer to sprout.

If your baseboard really hasn't been all that hot and has just given out gentle warmth, it's possible that the seeds are just taking their time. Also, some seeds will take longer to sprout than others.

Jenna

• Xeramatheum
    19 years ago

I think you may have cooked them too!

You are starting them the hard way though! I drill a hole about the size of a bb, soak in warmish water for 24 hour then plant in grow mix to a depth twice the size of the seed. In about a week or so I have canna pushing up.

Put those puppies in dirt in a pot after soaking and on a heating pad and make sure they stay moist but not wet! I cover mine with a clear plastic shower cap. You can get them by the zillions at a dollar store for a dollar.

X

• cheerpeople
    19 years ago

I received several seed trades that did not sprout at all. Others 90%. It might be your seed. I just left mine on the kitchen counter- not next to heat.
    kAREN

• cheerpeople
    19 years ago

I keep forgetting to send you an email I got from a canna hybridizer. He suggests the mid 80's for canna. He suggests a jiffy seed starter kit if you have one.

Anotehr hybridizer suggests not nicking at all. he has luck with rinsing out a pop bottle and with just the amount of water left from the rinsing, he puts the seeds in there, puts the cap on, and puts the bottle in a warm place like a hot window- he's down south. He says they sprout within days in the steamy bottle. I have not tried this myself. It seems htere are many ways to start these....
    karen

Sponsored
Unparalleled Design & Dedicated to Quality in Loudoun County