Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinbumper

How do you tell if a cannas rhizome has a disease?

kevinbumper
19 years ago

I came accross a trade where they indicated that they received disease rhizomes in 3 of their trades. They also indicated that it ruined their soil.

How do I tell if my cannas have a disease? If they do, what do I have to do the garden area in which they we planted? Do I have to remove all of the soil.

I live in Zone 5.

Sometimes my rhizomes are long and other times they are short and stumpy. Is this a sign of disease?

Comments (3)

• canna2grow
    19 years ago

The underground rhizome structure of each cultivar varies widely in its morphology. They range from short and notably thickened to stoloniferous and long-creeping structures. This wide variation would not generally indicate a diseased rhizome. A disease is often classified as a particular destructive organism with a specific cause and characteristic symptoms. Learning to recognize those symptoms in the rhizome or plant is simply a learning process but common sense and the process of elimination provides a starting point. Sometimes it is advantageous to contact qualified laboratories or trained professionals for advice and recommendations. Remember that we do not live in a sanitized world and plants have survived in this pathogen-infected environment for a long time. Assuming someone has not shipped a plant or rhizome from a restricted or quarantined area, I would be hesitant to believe a Âdiseased plant ruined the soil. Soil chemistry or suitability is much more likely to be altered or Âruined by manÂs attempt to improve or change a soil condition. It is sometimes desirable to rotate certain Âhost crops to prevent buildup of destructive pathogens or pests. Where this is not possible, we may find the need to treat the affected area by suitable alternatives. Simple soil test would be a good starting point. Total soil replacement is hardly ever necessary but may be a practical solution for small areas. Regards, Kent.

• don_brown
    19 years ago

Cannagrow makes much good sense. But as I have said before, this is more a case of common sense then garden expertise. If the rhizome has gone soft and mushy and/or black, it is rotting and should be tossed out. The chances of it ever contaminating the soil are slim to nil. Cannas are dead easy. Stick em in the ground, fertilize and water. They grow. They bloom. Get this part down and worry about tweaking it later. Let nature do its thing before you start concocting nutrient solutions and hormone sprays or sacrificing virgins to the earth goddess! LOL! Most importantly.....don't fret so much......have fun with your plants and they will likely perform accordingly!

• mark333
    19 years ago

Just a note...if you see fuzz or somthing let the r's stand in water with a 10% bleach solution. This will kill any bad stuff. Rinse & air dry. Plant...mark