Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would like to give cannas another try this year. Need help.

Posted by lisa2004 NY Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 28, 07 at 9:26

Last year I planted 3 canna tubers (dwarf variety) in a huge pot on my deck. They were in full sun. Only one had any growth at all and even that one did very poorly. The leaves were pale and limp looking and it didn't flower. I would love to try a tall variety this spring. I want to put them in the ground, not in a pot. However, I need to know what went wrong last summer. It is possible that I didn't water them enough, but we did have LOTS of rain in June, so I'm surprised that I had no growth from 2 of the 3 tubers. Are there varieties that are stronger than others? I like dark red flowers. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would like to give cannas another try this year. Need help.

I have about 20 different varities and pot them all. They do amazing. First I take some 100% silicone caulk and seal any hole in the pot no matter the size the pot to retain all water. For extreemly large pots I fill the bottom half with empty milk jugs, pop bottles or turn another pot upside down inside to take up space.

I mix fresh potting soil with some time release fertalizer, and manure, fill the pot and plant in full sun. I then give a good watering and as soon as the canna sprout up a couple inches I fill the pot with standing water. I keep standing water all year long and fertalize with a diluted 20-20-20 every 1-2 weeks. I have had the most amazing success. All have multipled beyond my expectations, flowers were amazing and I have more seed than I know what to do with.

Never had a problem with a single variety or lost one.
Grancru

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

WOW!!! After looking at your pictures I guess I'll have to try again. I think I seriously under estimated the amount of water they need. Could of swore I read that they need good drainage. (I think I'll finially go for that hot tub too)! Very nice.

o

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 2, 07 at 8:00

Lisa, try starting them in smaller pots so you can control the watering better. Before they sprout, you want to keep them moist, but not soggy, or they risk rotting away. AFTER they sprout, they you can go crazy with the water and move them to the big pot.

o

Mine are in big pots inside (I treat them like houseplants; deck for summer, indoors for winter). They DO like a lot of water; I water them every other day--and lots of light!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here