Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
killing weeds and canna

Posted by donna447 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 10:40

I have two huge beds of canna, which overwinter great and are more prolific every year. The problem is that the beds get covered in the wild strawberry weeds, and it's really hard to get it during the summer. I want to kill the weeds this winter with Round Up, and then heavily mulch. Will the herbicide injure the dormant bulbs in the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: killing weeds and canna

Donna,

Round Up is primarily a contact herbicide that typically is absorbed and moves through the plant. Assuming your canna foliage is dead at this time of year, the contact herbicide would not likely cause injury. I am not sure how effective it would be on your wild strawberries at this stage of growth. I would suggest you contact the local County Extension Office and get their recommendations. There service is generally free of charge and a phone call might prove beneficial. They would be more knowledgeable of your present growing location and conditions.

Kent

o
RE: killing weeds and canna

Kent---thanks for the info. I will call the county agent, as they have been helpful in the past.

Donna

o
RE: killing weeds (but not canna)

I want to do the exactly the same thing. I don't know if Donna is still on this forum so has anyone else tried Roundup (Glyphosate) when canna are dormant? I let my small bed of canna get out of hand over the past few years and it is now huge. Ok, HUGE! It is by the edge of the lake, so that is all fine and they have multiplied like crazy, but the bed is full, full, FULL of weeds. I should have done it last winter but didn't make it. So the plan, next winter, as soon as those canna are dormant, is to attack the whole bed with roundup.

I'm wondering if I should lift (at least some) of my canna to be on the safe side. I'm also wondering if I should lift some now and just do the project now. It is way in the back of my yard, down by the water, but because I live on a lake, it is a real eyesore for anyone looking over this way. But my canna are already up though, so I can't just spray willy-nilly. I either have to lift the canna, or pull the weeds by hand, or wait until next winter.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Carol in Jacksonville

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here