Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Pictures of canna garden in zone 4

arctictropical
16 years ago

With two feet of snow on the ground and -23 F. temperatures here, pictures of cannas in the summer keep you from going crazy in the winter!

{{gwi:528241}}

{{gwi:528242}}

Comments (15)

• Central_Cali369
    16 years ago

Nice yard. It must take a lot of work to dig up all of those cannas in the winter and replant them in the spring. congrats. I still have a couple of wyoming blooming, and the next generation of cannas is already popping up out of the ground. I have some photos of my cannas on my website, feel free to take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here for photos of my yard

• nucci60
    16 years ago

beatiful yard! What are the cannas that have "blotched" white leaves? They don't look like Stutgard.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Central Cali & Nucci. Central Cali, I wish I had your weather! Nice pictures of your yard! I've grown palm trees outside for over 10 years now by protecting them with styrofoam boxes. It would be nice not to worry about - 40 F. temperatures. Unfortunately, yes, I must dig everything in the Fall and replant in Spring. It takes a lot of time to do so. Nucci, which picture were you referring to? They are both a little "faded", so not sure which ones. I do grow Stutgard, but they are very slow to multiply, and burn too easily in the sun, so I keep them semi-shaded. Any advice on preventing their leaves from burning?

• Central_Cali369
    16 years ago

You're a real zone pusher arctic! The same thing happens to me. If i planted only frost hardy plants, i would not have to worry about protecting anything, but i too have a certain degree of 'zone-pusher' characteristic. lol. Everything i have in the pics thrive on their own with no care except for the majesty palm you see on the home page. I wrap the leaves in an old rug when frost is predicted. Right now it doesnt look as good as it did in November when i took the pic. The outer fronds are burned by up to half the length. Good thing is that our cold frame is short, we are already warming to 39-45 lows for this month.

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Beautiful garden artictropical. I am always impressed by gardeners in cold areas that go through all that work to have such beautiful gardens. Some of us (well at least myself) in great climates whimp out at 50 degree weather!!

My canna Stuttgart multiplies fast. I have some out in the sun (and they do burn), and some in the shade. The ones in the shade don't burn, but they don't spread as quickly. I don't add anything to them, but have read some add epsom salt to help prevent leaf-burns. Someone in one of the post has their c. Stuttgart in their pond and supposedly they don't get leaf-burn that way.

Thanks artictropical and Cali for sharing your photos.

• bearstate
    16 years ago

That's the way Canna should be grown, in clusters. Very nice groupings!

I've seen photos on this site and read posts about people who regiment their Canna into solitary individuals, cutting them back as they spread. It seems absurd. Canna are not just naturally clusterers, but they look much better that way too. And in addition, allowing them to cluster is low maintenance. Right?

• nightrider767
    16 years ago

Just wonderful!!!

Thanks for those pictures.

• larry5
    16 years ago

I've always wondered what the garden of Eden looked like!!!
    Great inspirational pictures articgarden. Isn't it always the way, I think i have something preetty good and I get humbled back into my place! I like your garden so much I'm using it as a screen saver! How many rhizomes do you dig up and store every year? We have give or take 75 of the robert kemp rhizomes that we (my wife) have dug up for the past 2 seasons. My work buddy gave me some rhizomes a couple of years ago, and i wasn't even sure i wanted them, but now i luv them! This year we have ordered some from Horn canna farm and am anxious to plan where to put them in June once our 2 to 4 feet of snow melts here in Toronto, Ontario. Great place for a hockey team, too bad Toronto doesn't have one! What are the towering canna you have in the background of your first picture? What plant is in the second picture behind your Cannas?
    Thanks again, and praise God for your awesome inspiration garden

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your comments and suggestions everyone! I have forgotten to look at this post for some time. I usually spend most of my time in other garden forums such as "Tropicalesque", "Palms", "Far North" and "Utah gardening". Bearstate, I totally agree, cannas always look their best in clusters or large groups. You get that "shock value" of bold color in one spot. Larry, I wish I remember the name of the tall red cannas in the back with the burgundy leaves, but I don't remember! I know some of the shorter ones in that group are "Black Knight", but I don't remember what the really tall ones are. Sorry. In the second picture, the tall plants behind the flowering cannas are canna musafolia, or commonly known as banana canna. This grouping isn't the best picture of them because they were planted late (mid may). I had others planted that were much taller and better looking, that I planted earlier and gave more fertilizer to. If you happen to start the banana cannas inside in pots in March, if you transplant them outside and give them good sunlight, soil, water and fertilizer, you can get them to grown huge leaves and shoot up to 8-10 feet high in a good season. A lot of people mistake them for banana plants. They certainly grow alot quicker. The tubers on these plants can get quite large.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Larry, I forgot to mention that after growing them for over 30 years (started as a teenager), I have so many cannas and elephant ears that I sell about 800 every year to a large nursery here in Utah called Valley Nursery. I would never want to count them, but I imagine there are a couple thousand rhizomes at least. Since I grow them all in raised flower beds, it takes several weeks in the evening and weekends in the Fall to dig them all. After several years of trial and error, I found they store best in plastic garbage bags with peat moss, placed inside of waxed cardboard boxes you can get at the grocery stores.

• rokal
    16 years ago

arctictropical,

Nice garden! It looks like a tropical paradise.

Do you know the name of the canna in your first picture with the pink blooms in the back left? I don't think those are 'Black Knight'.

Regards,

Rokal

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rokal,the pink flowers with burgundy leaves are "Tropical Rose", one of the best cannas I have. They are compact plants with fairly large flowers and beautiful foilage. They also do a great job of reproducing.

• rokal
    16 years ago

arctictropical,

All the pictures I have seen of Canna 'Tropical Rose' show it with green foliage. Yours appears to be green/burgundy. Do you remember where you purchased it?

Thx,

Rokal

• wood_fern
    16 years ago

Just read canna article in spring issue of Garden Ideas magazine. Article says cannas in pots can be submerged in water gardens. Is this realistic for a beginner....any suggestions, comments. Want to try some of the tropical looking varieties they show. Thanks

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rokal, I'm going by memory with the "Tropical Rose" name for this canna. Maybe I'm wrong if all information indicates green foilage. I have purchased so many cannas from different sources, I don't remember where I bought this one from. Sorry! Wood fern, Yes, cannas can be grown in water gardens, although some varieties do better than others. You might search the web for specialty canna companies who will indicate which ones do better in water. Good luck!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus