Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I pollinate my sterile canna with 'good' pollen and get seeds

Posted by Tropicallvr north coast Cal (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 12, 05 at 11:59

I was just wondering if it would be possible to get viable seeds from one of my sterile cannas by pollinating with pollen from one of my seed producing cannas. I figure the strelity is due to not having the right male parts(viable pollen). I tried crossing two sterile ones, and that obviously didn't work. So will it work or maybe the female part is also defficent.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I pollinate my sterile canna with 'good' pollen and get s

It's always at least a learning experience to try, but "sterile" in this case likely means that both the male and female parts of the flower are incapable of reproduction.

o

I really don't know much specifically about canna flowers, and sterility. I have learned that on other plants alot of times the reason it doesn't produce seeds is because the pollen(male parts) isn't good, but the female parts are.
Here's hoping!

o

• Posted by Grant 6a - ON, Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 16, 05 at 22:29

I believe I may have read an account of this happening with a sterile cultivar but typically it would be very uncommon. It would be an interesting experiment to try but I would combining the pollen from the "sterile" canna with the seed producing canna and visa versa to increase your odds. It would be great if you could get some feedback on this from one of the canna experts on GW like canna2grow.

o

Generally speaking, a hybrid canna cultivar that does not self-pollinate and produce seed will be unlikely to produce seed by using pollen from any source. There are numerous reasons for seed sterility in the mother canna. The accumulation of deleterious genes from inbreeding may interrupt any of the many critical phases of the reproductive cycle. The ploidy issue is always a concern. Angiospermous plants like cannas require a double fertilization sequence. The sexual cycle includes development of the male (pollen) and the female (embryo sac) structures of the flower. The cycle reduction division of chromosomes must occur to produce the haploid (N) chromosome number. Pollen grains and the embryo sac contain haploid (1N) male and (1N) female gametes. Pollen must transfer to the stigmatic surface (pollination) and germinate. The pollen tube grows down the style into the ovary until it reaches the embryo sac within the ovule. Two male gametes from the pollen tube are discharged into the embryo sac one to unite with a female gamete (fertilization) to produce the zygote (2N) and another to unite with the two polar nuclei to produce the endosperm (3N).
Failure of the endosperm to develop properly results in retardation or arrest of embryo development. This phenomenon commonly occurs when two genetically different individuals are hybridized, either from different species or from two individuals of different polyploid constitution in angiosperm plants.
Because the seed bearing plant must be capable of performing a multitude of complex tasks to successfully complete the seed development cycle one is "usually" correct in assuming the deficiency is with the potential seed bearer. The pollen from this plant may likely be viable. Trial and error is still needed to confirm any final conclusion.
Regards,
Kent

o

Thanks, canna2grow
I'll try using the steril cannas pollen on another plant, but this will make it tougher to tell if it worked until the seedling show signs. But definatly worth the effort.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here