Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kailea_gw

Pink Sunburst storage

kailea
15 years ago

I am overwintering a large healthy pot of Pink Sunburst in my south window here in zone 4. They are about 2 1/2 ft. tall and keep sending new growth. Question is, do they need to be cut back and go dormant in order to get flowers next summer; or can I just plant them out when it gets warm. Tried saving rhizomes but they dry up and die and haven't been successful keeping them that way. Kept this in the house last winter too but it only had a couple flowers this summer. Or should I just withhold watering now and put in cool dark basement for rest of winter?

Comments (6)

• ras759
    15 years ago

could you spare a rhizome or two?

• kailea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ras759:
    I'm sorry if I mislead you to think I had a lot of plants; so no, I really don't have any to share. Sorry. However, I believe I did buy these at Jungs a couple years ago and have kept them potted because I have had trouble keeping them going in the past. I guess they are touchy. I just checked their spring 09 catalog and they do have them. They are on page 96 of the catalog or you can go to www.jungseed.com. Good luck.

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

I have had Pink Sunburst cannas for a couple of years. (See links below to purchase them from KCC--Pink Sunburst) They are available on a limited basis--and at $18 a pop plus postage, they are not cheap!!!

I have mine in huge pots, they LOVE water, and I keep them in those pots all winter long making sure the soil does not dry out-but not soaked. I leave the brown leaves on all winter long until I do a 'spring clean-up' in March to give them a boost.

On the link below, Alice has a page titled:

Tips for Growing Cannas and Other Tender Perennials

It covers winter storage and has some tips you may find helpful. Have you tried fish emulsion?

I LOVE my Pink Starburst cannas!! Perfect for containers I have around our pool!! They bloom all summer long for me with their pretty pink blossoms. But even without blooms, the foilage is so exotic looking!! I get more compliments on them!! They are worth the investment!!

Good Luck!!!

~Mary Jane

Here's how pretty they can look...they have the WOW factor!
    (These are not my photos-they are on photobucket-someone else's BEAUTIFUL plants! I need to take pictures of mine...)

{{gwi:528280}}

{{gwi:528281}}
    ~~

Here is a link that might be useful: Karchesky and Harris Canna Collection

• abutilon
    15 years ago

Hi Mary Jane,
    Thanks for the beautiful 'Pink Sunburst' photos.This canna may be the prettiest anywhere. It has been my favourite from the moment I first saw it.
    You will have to post your 'Pink Sunburst' photos. I always like seeing how others grow their cannas.
    BTW it is lower in price this spring, too.
    Thanks,
    Alice

• bluesagewmn62
    15 years ago

Pink Sunburst is one of my favorite canna's ever....I had some for about 5 or 6 years but then one day they just died....probably a virus. They never did grow and spread as fast as my other canna varieties....but they are super beautiful just the same.

I got the original from a neighbor lady. Now, I am about to order one....they are worth the money to me.

Back to your question....Yes, you would probably need to at least cut them back....They will probably flower even if you don't, but only on the 'new' shoots it sends up. Also, your foliage will be MUCH prettier if they are cut back.

• kailea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, been awhile since I posted that question. It's now March and the Pink Sunburst don't look as robust and wondering if it is too late to cut back to ground in pot. Will they start over or since I left them growing all winter, will I kill them by cutting off their growth now? Will get the pot outside once it warms but that's a good month plus away here.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz