Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rokal_gw

Cannas Suffering From Invading Tree Roots

rokal
18 years ago

I have an area that is perfect for growing cannas (full sun) except the soil is filled with tiny surface tree roots from a neighboring Maple tree. Last summer, my cannas did just OK in this area because the tree roots are very competitive for water and nutrients.

Next year, I was thinking about planting cannas in large nursery pots and wrapping the pots with weed blocking fabric. The pots would then be sunk into the ground. Does anyone have experience using this technique? How large a pot did you use? I was thinking about 7-10 gallon pots.

Thanks,

Rokal

Comments (3)

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Maybe I don't understand the method?

If the cannas are in buried pots, why would they need weed barrier cloth as well?

They should do fine in pots (& maybe less trouble for you to store next winter!)

You might want to watch them to be sure they have enough room for some increase.

• rokal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

sylviatexas,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking that without weed blocking fabric, the tree roots would invade the pots through the drainage holes. Possibly even clogging the drainage holes. These are very invasive tiny roots that seem to go everwhere!

Regards,

Rokal

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Wow!

What determined trees!

I'd do whatever it takes to keep tree roots out of the pots.

Best luck, & have fun!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!