Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Accidently Broke my Canna While Planting

Posted by scubakathy84 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 14:13

I bought a pack of 3 bulbs of Canna Red King Humbert (ok, I'm not sure if they are officially bulbs or tubers or ??, but I am calling them bulbs until I get corrected). I was planting them in some soil yesterday, but one of the bulbs snapped in half while I was handling it. It was sort of shaped like a dog bone and the weak point was in the middle which is where it snapped. Now I have two pieces, about 1.5" long each.

My question is will either of these pieces grow? If they can at least have a chance to live I'd be happy, even if they just give me a small canna that doesn't flower. Or is there no chance and I should just toss the broken pieces? New to gardening so I'm not quite sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Accidently Broke my Canna While Planting

Rhizome or tuber is technically correct but for most here it is not a big deal. You do not indicate where you are located so hopefully you are planting in a warm climate area. Assuming your supplier provided rhizomes that have at least one healthy growing point you should still see at least one of the pieces survive and grow. With a little TLC you may see both pieces produce healthy plants.
Good luck and let us know.

Kent

o
RE: Accidently Broke my Canna While Planting

Thank you for the response! I inspected the pieces and it does appare that there is a growing point on one piece. Couldn't find one on the other. But I'm thinking I will plant it anyway and see what happens. I am glad to know I haven't completely killed this canna.

I'm in zone 9. Its a little too cold here right now for planting outdoors. So I figured I would get a head start and plant them in pots indoors by a sunny window and move them outside when it gets warmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here