Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frost bitten canna's

Posted by noway 9FL (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 28, 11 at 14:26

I live in the Tampa FL. We had some frost and a few freezing mornings the past month, and the leaves on the canna's are brown around the edges. They were partially protected, so they didn't die off completely. I would like to know if I should take a scissor and cut the brown parts off the edges of the leaves. They look so ugly the way they are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frost bitten canna's

don't cut off the brown parts, you'll leave huge areas exposed to the elements, any kind of bugs or disease. If they're really bad, you could just cut the whole leaf off. Or, if you're willing to, cut them off at the ground and let them regrow all new foliage...that's probably the best idea because the leaves won't recover from frost damage, cell structure collapsed and whatnot. It was minus 7 here on Monday...

o
RE: frost bitten canna's

• Posted by sgyn Cambridge 5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 16:24

I have found that browned leaves caused by frost are generally of no usefulness in plant growth and may inhibit
new leaf growth and the production of pups underground.
In Canada I have found that leaving Cannas into the first
week of November with leaf browning does not negatively
affect rhizome growth, BUT this does differ from one canna
variant to another. The indica group seems more resilient
but I find the more stolon/rhizome hybridized types suffer more from frost. Hope this information was helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here