Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikki_zn5

Best way to deal with cannas sprouting in storage ??

Nikki_zn5
19 years ago

I left my Pretorias and Tropicanas in their pots when I brought them inside in October. I cut them down and put them in my storage room in the basement. Thanks to our new heating system in the house this room is no longer cool enough and the Pretoria has 8 pale ,almost white sprouts 6-8 in.tall. I have read one poster says he ignores his sprouts but because I've only ever been able to purchase the tiniest rhizomes of both these cannas in the spring and these are sizing up nicely I want to know what most of you would advise. It wouldn't matter if I had lots of these or larger rhizomes were available like some of you lucky people.

So would it be better for future development of the rhizome to bring the pot out into the light and water it or ok to ignore the sprouts? I do not have a colder spot to move them to. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Comments (8)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    19 years ago

I think it may have been me who said I ignore the sprouts, but that's because my basement always gets very cold at some point during the winter and they stop growing. You do have a problem.

I have had other plants sprout too early in storage and usually I try to just ignore them until I can't anymore. Unless you have fantastic window light or a very strong source of artifical light, I would try to keep them where they are as long as possible and not water unless they look like they are going to die.

If you must water, I would give them the bare minimum just to keep them alive. Once the sprouts actually start forming leaves, you probably will have to bring them into some sort of light, but again I would hold off as long as possible.

If you do have the room to grow them, that would be another possibility. I'm sure they wouldn't mind the early start as long as you can provide enough light.

Kevin

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    19 years ago

You can ignore the sprouts, cut them back and back off on the water.

Cannas are tough, you don't need to baby them or be "afraid" if they sprout early.

I have never seen a room (except for a greenhouse) with enough sunlight to produce stocky, lush growth.

What you can do is wait till later, and get them outside during the pay if it's above 55 or so and sunny, rather than babying them inside.

The plants will be healthier and sturdier that way.

Good luck
    Boca Joe

• Nikki_zn5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the replies, Kevin and Boca Joe.

I think I will take your advice Boca Joe. But do these eyes which have sprouted set the plant back in terms of less sprouts come summer time ???

• mccommas
    19 years ago

I have the same problem! I was cleaning my basement ( long long overdue) and I went to see how they were doing and I got two sprouts that are about a foot high!!

I don't have a cooler place to put them either except the garage ( I live in Ct so you know what that means --- zap! )

They are just from Wally World -- nothing fancy but they are mine and I hate to kill them with ignorance.

So its ok to just cut them back or let the sprouts die? Does everyone else agree or just leave them?

There is also some mold. I am letting it dry out some.

Maybe I should not use a plastic bag to prevent mold?

• don_brown
    19 years ago

Cutting off the early sprouts will not hurt your cannas.

If you see mold, DO NOT put them in sealed plastic bags. They are likely too moist. Clean them up a bit, let them dry a bit, and pack them in fresh peat moss. Pack them loosely to allow them to breathe.

• FariesAngel
    19 years ago

Where I live we will get a few days in the 60's/70's then a few colder days in the40's/50's with even chillier nights so my canna are always popping up then getting killed back by frost. It does them no harm so I am sure you could cut the shoots back. Just lay off the watering. Maybe a little sip once a month till you can plant back outside. When is that for you?

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    19 years ago

Nikki,

These sprouts on the cannas now or cutting them back has no effect on their summer growth at all.

Boca Joe

• Nikki_zn5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks again, Boca Joe

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County