Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panspipes

Is anybody familiar with this giant heirloom canna?

panspipes
12 years ago

I haven't bothered to post a picture since the description is quite simple, but I can later if I must.

The leaves are just plain green. The flowers are brilliant red with long narrow pointed petals, not the wide rounded showy petals you see in most modern hybrids. And they are just red, all red, never any little streaks or flecks of yellow or anything.

The interesting thing about them is that they consistently grow well over 9ft tall. Our gutter is at least 10ft high and there will always be more than a few ambitious flowers well above gutter level. So with the exception of last Summer with the worst drought and heat in recorded history, these cannas generally grow 8-11 feet tall.

My mother started them in the late 70's in Michigan where they also grew that tall for over 30 years. I now have them in Texas in a very different sort of soil, but with the same results. We've both been known to use a little Miracle-Gro but certainly not with any diligence or regularity. These plants are just brutes.

Why have I never seen any varieties listed as reaching over 6 or 7 feet?

What are these things? Are they rare?

P.S. I'm pretty sure the seeds are sterile, but not 100% positive.

Comments (7)