Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is anybody familiar with this giant heirloom canna?

Posted by panspipes zone 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 17:48

I haven't bothered to post a picture since the description is quite simple, but I can later if I must.
The leaves are just plain green. The flowers are brilliant red with long narrow pointed petals, not the wide rounded showy petals you see in most modern hybrids. And they are just red, all red, never any little streaks or flecks of yellow or anything.
The interesting thing about them is that they consistently grow well over 9ft tall. Our gutter is at least 10ft high and there will always be more than a few ambitious flowers well above gutter level. So with the exception of last Summer with the worst drought and heat in recorded history, these cannas generally grow 8-11 feet tall.
My mother started them in the late 70's in Michigan where they also grew that tall for over 30 years. I now have them in Texas in a very different sort of soil, but with the same results. We've both been known to use a little Miracle-Gro but certainly not with any diligence or regularity. These plants are just brutes.
Why have I never seen any varieties listed as reaching over 6 or 7 feet?
What are these things? Are they rare?
P.S. I'm pretty sure the seeds are sterile, but not 100% positive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is anybody familiar with this giant heirloom canna?

There are a number of cultivars that grow in excess of 6 feet. Catalogers tend to list the heights that are more attractive to the general public. Cultivars such as C. 'Intrigue', C. 'Richard Wallace' and C. 'King Humbert' come to mind. Canna planting that are not regularly thinned or grow in semi shaded areas will typically grow much taller.
From your description, your cultivar is likely related to a primary (specie like) hybrid. You might do a search for Canna compacta, sometimes sold as C. 'Robert Kemp'. This particular plant does produce seed and being a species it produces genetically true seedlings. It can grow between 2 and 2 1\2 meters (6 to 9ft.).
With a good series of photos we might make a rational guess.

Regards,
Kent

o

Thanks again Kent. That's all I needed to know. I've just gathered some seeds to see if they will germinate. I really hope they do as it would offer me some insurance against losing them all to a virus. My family has been keeping these specific plants alive for over 3 decades.

o

• Posted by edie_h 5a NY Finger Lakes (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 22:19

Could it be canna musafolia? (I've also seen "musifolia" as the spelling, don't know which is correct.) This literally means "banana-leafed canna."

They get very tall, with small red flowers with narrow petals, what some growers call "orchid type" flowers. The blossoms look delicate compared to the leaves. Try a web search for this botanical name and see if the pictures look like what you have. I've been drooling over B&B's summer '12 catalog and saw a photo there. Was thinking about buying this one, actually.

Edie

o

Edie-I sent you an e-mail, I`ve tons of the banana canna.

Welcome to the south, a LOT of canna get over 6` here.
Tally HO!

o

It could be plain old canna indica. I grew these from seed, they're fertile. Bloomed the first year from seed.

o

Eddie_h, what is the B&B catalog? TIA!

o

Princeton Nurseries: B&B's Plant List

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here