Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boomchuckchuck

underplanting cannas

boomchuckchuck
16 years ago

Dear Gardening friends:

I am wanting to have a garden that looks beautiful year round,which is possible in Southern California. Unfortunately, my heart is in collecting "tropicalesque" plants, and they have a rather ugly winter appearance, especially my cannas which look like death from November to about April. I usually cut them back to the ground in October. Today I noticed many of them are already sprouting a good six inches, two of them are even four foot tall and blooming, but the foliage doesn't look too good, and any chance of frost, they are (burnt) toast. Then I

notice that the watsonias are already a good three feet, and have the idea....has anyone tried it....

Can I plant watsonias over or under the canna rhysomes to hide the uglies and have something green and lovely to hold it's place? They would be finished in about march, just in time to whack off the watsonia folliage and let the cannas take over? Has anyone done this, or used some other autumn/winter coverup to hide the should be hibernating cannas?

Thanks,

boomchuckchuck

Comments (3)