Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrick888_gw

looking for 'Princess Di' in North Texas

Patrick888
19 years ago

Does anyone living between DFW and Denton, TX have some 'Princess Di' canna rhizomes they'd be willing to trade? I will be visiting friends near Lewisville in mid-March and am searching for this particular canna. Please contact me and I'll share with you my trade list and see if we can set up a trade. Others cannas I'm interested in would be 'Australia' and 'Wine and Roses' or others with red/purple foliage.

Note...I would post on the Texas Exchange forum, but it is restricted to TX residents only! Strange?!

Many thanks,

Patrick

Comments (12)

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    19 years ago

Patrick,

check your local garden centers as soon as they are stocked with the summer bulbs in the bags. I have seen Princess Di cannas pre-bagged and for sale in lots of places.

good luck

Boca Joe

• Patrick888
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Boca Joe,

I have started checking with the nurseries & garden centers. So far it sounds like about 2 weeks or so before summer bulbs will come in. Cannas don't seem to be hugely popular in the Seattle area..I usually see 6-7 varieties offered. That is why I'm searching outside the Northwest.

Last year I was excited to find a prepackaged 'Wine and Roses' in a nearby nursery. It turned out to be mislabeled...foliage was green and the bloom color was a muddled orange-red.

I'm visiting the Dallas area in about a month and will check nurseries & garden centers there...I think I'll find a lot more variety offered there.

Thanks,

Patrick

• Robin_northtexas
    19 years ago

We have people from other areas that post on Texas Gardening. Come on over, we're very friendly. Robin

• Patrick888
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Robin,

When I go to the Texas Exchange page, there is no actual option for posting...this is what it says:

Post a Message to the Forum

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here.

Patrick

• sylviatexas1
    19 years ago

I posted on our exchanges forum with a link to this message.

Please check the exchanges forum & the conversations & discussions from time to time:

You can find get-togethers in our area (I live in DFW) throughout the year!

• Patrick888
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ummm, yes...but I will be visiting for only 4 days in March!
    lol

• cosmo_kramer
    19 years ago

I got some at walmart a few weeks ago

• Patrick888
    Original Author
    19 years ago

sylviatexas...thank you for linking this into a TEXAS EXCHANGE post for me! very kind of you. :))

cosmo_kramer....thanks...I'll have my friend near DFW check at Walmart in her area...I'll take half-a-dozen !!

Patrick

• BlueBonnet46
    19 years ago

Patrick,

Check with Wally World (Wal Mart) cause I got some Princess Di's pre bagged from there here in my home town & they always have cannas there.

Judy

• Patrick888
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, everyone....I think I'm finally seeing hope! I have a trade in the works with GardenWebber rustygardener from San Antonio. Plus I have my friend in the DFW area getting ready to check at WalMarts in her area (I think we're too early up my way..and don't think very many canna varieties will be offered here). So, I'm pretty jazzed to think I may finally see 'PD' growing my yard this year.

• surfbreeze
    19 years ago

I paid a little over 2 dollars at Walmart about a week ago for a package of 2 bulbs..

• beachplant
    19 years ago

You can usually buy more canna at nurseries in the north then here in Texas, we kind of consider them a weed. And mow them down on a regular basis. But Walmart here and the one in Delaware (sis lives there) had them this week, and so did Home depot-2 sizes $2.96 or $4.96. Good luck. Tally HO!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living