Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna for Valentines Day

Posted by ferret (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 8, 07 at 10:54

My wife likes plants and along with some flowers I had a great idea of getting her some fun plants to go with her "regular" flowers as a surpise for Valentines day. I found some Cannas on Ebay (she currently has some "plain" Cannas) that I thought would be unique and very pretty if they bloomed. Well I got them today and finally educated myself a little more about them and am concerned and have some questions about them. The types of Cannas I got were called "Canna Lily Phaison" and "Orange Canna Lilies." I had these shipped to Minnesota and I think I might have ruined them by having them shipped to us now when it is VERY cold here. Do you think shipping them in the cold killed them? Also, I had heard now that these are poisinious, is that true? (We have small children.)Are all Cannas poisonous? Sorry for the LONG question but am wondring what you thoughts are.

JZ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna for Valentines Day

What a great Valentine idea!

I guess it's possible that they froze, but canna rhizomes are pretty hardy;

mine stay in the ground year-round, & they've survived 9-degree nights that I know of.

can't help on the toxicity question, but...
cannas are in every grandmother's garden around here, everybody I know grew up with them, & we're all still here!

Lots of plants, like oleanders are "poison" if ingested, so, uh, don't eat 'em.

Hope your wife liked the cannas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here