Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pigeonbob

volunteer canna....

PIGEONBOB
11 years ago

This is my first post on this forum. I don't do a lot of cannas, but this year I had a 'volunteer' canna sprout in my daylily hybridizing beds. This happens about every other year and I usually just yank them out. For some reason I let it grow this year and it turned out to be quite a nice plant. It bloomed profusely and the color was beautiful and it was even somewhat branched. I wish I had taken more photos, but I just took two. So, first of all, after reading everything I could about growing cannas from seed, I'm surprised that this thing came up and bloomed like a mature plant all in the same season. Also, we experienced a terrible drought this year. Even more amazing. Secondly, where in the world did this come from? I haven't grown cannas in years. These seeds must be left-over from years ago....I do only daylilies. How long can a seed last and still germinate? I know these are a lot of questions, but it's mostly just fascinating to me that this happened. I'll post the two photos I did take, and , I decided to save this one, so it's resting in my basement for the winter. What do you think, I think it's pretty.
Bob Faulkner

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH