Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
volunteer canna....

Posted by pigeonbob Z5--OHIO (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 11:42

This is my first post on this forum. I don't do a lot of cannas, but this year I had a 'volunteer' canna sprout in my daylily hybridizing beds. This happens about every other year and I usually just yank them out. For some reason I let it grow this year and it turned out to be quite a nice plant. It bloomed profusely and the color was beautiful and it was even somewhat branched. I wish I had taken more photos, but I just took two. So, first of all, after reading everything I could about growing cannas from seed, I'm surprised that this thing came up and bloomed like a mature plant all in the same season. Also, we experienced a terrible drought this year. Even more amazing. Secondly, where in the world did this come from? I haven't grown cannas in years. These seeds must be left-over from years ago....I do only daylilies. How long can a seed last and still germinate? I know these are a lot of questions, but it's mostly just fascinating to me that this happened. I'll post the two photos I did take, and , I decided to save this one, so it's resting in my basement for the winter. What do you think, I think it's pretty.
Bob Faulkner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: volunteer canna....

Bob,
Welcome to the world of growing cannas from seed even if not by design. Canna seeds are encased in a very hard outer coat that is nearly impervious to water. Until the outer shell is permeated the embryo cannot germinate. Canna seed can survive a very many years and remain viable. It has been established that native Indians used canna seeds in their musical hand rattles and after over 500 years the seed inside were found to be viable.
Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here