Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_in_nova_scotia

got babies ..now what?

sue_in_nova_scotia
17 years ago

I received Canna seeds in a surprise trade and planted them...in one week they germinated and now 5 days later they are almost 2 inchs tall...there are 5 in a small container that is about 5" across...I can see roots at the bottom already. I do not think they will be happy here for long. When do I move into separate containers? Can I move them into separate containers? They are only 5 days old.

Comments (12)

• andypython
    17 years ago

well, I am in the same boat and it is also my first time trying canna from seed. Mine have also shot up after only a few days and I think that I will move them to larger, deeper pots soon, right now they are in a tray about 2.5 inches deep at most. I had heard that they can sprot quickly, but I must say I was suprised. I am debating moving them to one gallons where they could stay until I am ready to plant, come on spring! or if I should go smaller first and then to one gallon when they are bigger? Let me know what you are going to do Sue!

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, right now they (5) are the same small dish...I think I will move them into sterile pop bottles and then into a cooler room...I will eventually move to larger 1 gallon but I am not worried about that move as I will not have to separate them (like I will now)and therefore less root stress...there is a fellow locally who grows them from lifted tubers and he does them in the big home hardware buckets...I will let you know how it goes. Next year I will try one seed per pop bottle...

• jeanne
    17 years ago

Another Canna neophyte here...I've got 40 seeds soaking and plan to sow in two days. I was thinking of sowing them in 9-cell packs and then moving those that germinate into 20 oz. styrofoam cups. Should I change my plans and sow them into the cups right away?

I'm picturing 40 gallon pots crammed against my two south-facing windows and beginning to wonder if sowing so many C. musifolia (15 of the 40) in February was such a good idea...

• andypython
    17 years ago

you should be able to see which will germinate from the soaking, they start to swell and a whiteish looking growth emerges. Mine had 100% germination rate from the ones that had the white growth after a few day soak. Had a few duds that never did anything in the water and were not planted. I would go for the cups right away to be honest, they do grow quickly!

• jeanne
    17 years ago

Andypython, thanks so much for that helpful info. Hopefully the potting mix will defrost quickly, I don't have near enough usuable at the moment!

Sue, how did the seedlings handle the move?

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all....they handled the move wonderfully (so far) I used pop bottles and cut off the top and used it as a dome... they are quickly outgrowing the dome :) so I made a spray bottle of distilled water and damp off and I am going to mist them.I would not put them in cell packs, I had soaked mine for 2 days after nicking them and then planted. They were up in 7 days and grew at a astounding rate!!! The styrofoam cups might give you a couple weeks though. Mine are now in their pop bottle homes in a cooler place to slow growth (and to protect them from cats who think such things are salad) They are about 6 inches now.

• lidija_m
    17 years ago

Hy everybodu! I hope you will understand my bad english... i learn it 20 years ago, and i have no practice at all!

These are my canna babys, 14 days old. Grown im my room nearby computer, with natural-light bulb abowe.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:528922}}

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lidija...do not worry about 'bad english', we all speak 'garden' here :)...Your babys are lovely...do you know what color they will be? Mine are going to be a surprise.

• lidija_m
    17 years ago

Seeds are from red-flowering canna (i took it on my wacation last year), but i find somewhere on the Google that there is allways a lottery what you growing canna from seeds... so i thing there mine too will be suprise! :-)

ps. We (in former Yugoslavia) have our forum about plants (svetbiljaka.com) and it is realu great, bat today we have some problems with server, so i find "gardenweb.com" while i was surfing along...

• andypython
    17 years ago

well I moved my biggest seedlings into pots, they had good root systems already, I hope they will be fine. I had bulbs from last year that I had pulled inthe fall, and re potted a week or so back, one has shot up, a few others I am not so sure about. they looked a bit on the desicated side when I un packed them. I had tried a few different methods and I must say, one worked much better then the other. The ones that are growing were cleaned off, dried and then put in a box full of loose peat. I covered the box and kept it in a dark cool corner of the basement. worked very well. The others I cleaned and dried and wrapped in news paper, not so successful. I left others in the ground and some are already sprouting, which I am a bit worried about as we are having a period of nice warm, spring like weather, but we could very well have another cold spell, before we are out of the woods, I guess I will just have to cover them and hope if that happens. I would say for Victoria, not much point in pulling the bulbs. those I left in the ground have done as well as those I pulled, so far, although I have more growth on the ones that I pulled, so it might be worth the work...

• andypython
    17 years ago

Just a quick update. Seedlings still growing well. At the same time I planted them I potted up some Musafolia tubers from last year and they have taken off. They are over three feet tall and I have moved them out side to harden off in this very nice weather we have been having. I do not think I will plant them until April at the earliest, hate to loose all this growth to a snap frost.

• tomuchwork101
    17 years ago

i bought some canna from a magazine when the tubers showed up there wasn't any planting instructions.i planted the tubers the way i felt was the best way. how do i tell which end is up? also how long should it take to see leaves