Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

Has anyone brought their Cannas out of their winter storage yet?

jroot
19 years ago

I was wondering who, if any, have brought their cannas out of their winter storage yet? I checked mine the other day, and they were all fine ( even though I wrapped them loosely in recycled plastic shopping bags, wrapped those in paper bags, and put those into cardboard boxes. We had quite a controversy over that on last fall).

It will soon be time to start getting the tubers under light, and beginning to grow if we want to make cuttings.

Has anyone started yet?

If not, when will you start?

I am particularly interested in zone 5 gardening, but others are encouraged to respond as well. That way, we all learn.....together.

Comments (14)

• Bexz_Dopey
    19 years ago

I just baught some canna seed and am soaking them now. I will start them inside in a couple of days. As far as winter storage i live in the mohave desert of Arizona, so I am not sure about that. This is my first time owning cannas and I am excited. If anyone thinks it is too early please let me know.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    19 years ago

Zone 4-5 here. Last year, I started mine around the 25th of March and they were perfect size when I finally put them out in the garden. I start them out on top of a radiator (with a board underneath so they don't cook) and then move them to a south window. About two weeks before I transplant outside, I move them to an enclosed porch where they receive more sun. I've been using this method for a few years now.

Kevin

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I brought mine in last fall in their pots, after the foliage got nipped by some light frost. They went in a partially heated 'sort-of sunroom' that stays above freezing in the winter. The space has southern exposure, but the cannas were tucked underneath the workbench with our rabbits cages on it.

A week or so, we noticed new growth sprouting up. I haven't watered or anything yet, but I intend to bring them up from under the workbench and water them this week. The sprouts are about six inches long. This was my first year growing cannas, and I grew them in large pots, so they could be moved around as decorations for my daughter's luau birthday party.

I think I'm hooked.

• Gwyn
    19 years ago

I had intended to plant mine right after Christmas however did not get around to it. Did this weekend past in a big pot and have put near a sunny window.
    However this will be my last try - these particular rhizomes have not flowered for me for the last 2 years.
    SO hopefully this year.

• nansgarden
    19 years ago

I started mine today in pots, I saw a container using canna and I have to try it.I am not sure if this will work. My plan was to start them in the greenhouse so I will have blooms . I live in zone 4.They get beautiful foliage but we get a frost before they actually bloom.
    Do they need light or dark to force them to start? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

• jroot
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My understanding, nansgarden, is that they need HEAT.

A number of my friends have started their cannas already here in Zone 5, Ontario, Canada. I haven't taken mine out yet, but today did start my dahlia plants. If I can figure out WHERE I can put them, I'll start them soon here. I guess that I should be maybe putting them into my wife's studio. I'm sure she'll love that. LOL

• prairie_love
    19 years ago

Hi,

I am in zone 4 (3 in bad years). Last year I started my canna tubers indoors March 1. That was too early - they were a bit bigger than I'd like when I finally got to put them outdoors (last weekend of May). This year I will be starting them *tomorrow*! (Mar 19). I start them in big pans under grow lights. When they get too big to fit under the lights I move them to a sunny window. Seems to work just fine.

Nansgarden - you should be able to grow them in Colorado unless you're in the mountains. Even then, it should work. Our last frost date here is May 31, and we usually have our first frost mid-Sept to early Oct. Cannas flower great for me. They don't get as tall as in southern gardens, but still, they do well.

• peatpod
    19 years ago

Hi Jroot .. we seem to have alot of the same types of plants :o) I took my cannas out of their winter beds this week. I too have an issue with lighting but in the past I have started them under lights and then moved them to the floor and keep them close to the grow lights. I needed to keep turning them to ensure they grew fairly straight but they all came up and did very well for me all year. I am finding that the more tropical I get in my gardening .. the less room I have in my house :o)

Laura

• wyndyacre
    19 years ago

I took my cannas out of their winter storage around the beginning of the month and put them in my greenhouse (heated to 55* at night and gets quite warm during the day-75* plus depending on the sun). I store them in a dark, cool room in my basement. Just left them in clumps with some earth still attached, in a wooden tray. I cut them up into pieces when potting up and got 2 dozen, 6" pots of Peoria and Tropicana. Several weeks later, they are all growing shoots and some have leaves of 6".

• vickster257
    19 years ago

Since I have been procrastinating lately and just glancing at a sign stating "Plant cannas today"; that was about 2 weeks ago, maybe tomorrow. But this is what I tried last year: Since I have two cartonfuls of mixed cannas, Tropicana, Inferno, a shorter salmon pink type and yellow, layered with peatmoss and a few dahlias, calla lilies and elephant ear. Each canna was set into a large plastic baggie (freezer type) with some soil and watered lightly. They are lined up in the garage on a cardboard lid. When the weather begins to warm up I will bring them out for a couple hours and then back into the garage daily. It seems like much work but it is definitely worth it. And then they are planted into large containers, urns and into the garden as the weather is more canna-friendly. They are gorgeous and make me feel like I am in the Tropics!!

Vicki

• ptmax
    19 years ago

Hello Jroot
    I checked my cannas two weeks ago and they are still dormant in the garage.I stored them 3 to a box in peat.I plan on potting them up in shallow plastic pots in the greenhouse.The night-time temps are still too cold dropping into the low 30's and daytime temp in greenhouse 80*plus.Maybe another week or so.
    PTMAX

• peatpod
    19 years ago

Well .. Ive started!! Now I need more room and light!!!!! I have already potted up 68 and still have tons more to go. Geeze louise!!! I really have to wonder about this obsession I have for tropicals :o) I need a greenhouse!!!

Laura

• jroot
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I know the feeling, Laura. Brugmansia all over the place, Dahlia all over the place, Elephant ears taking up valuable window space, not to mention my oleander, ... and no room for Canna. Today, I took out to the garage, most of my Brugs, and the dahlias that were up and sprouting. I think this week some time, I'll start on the canna. I checked my several boxes the other day, and they weren't sprouting yet, but looked like they could any day now.

Oh, for a green house ! sigh !

• peatpod
    19 years ago

Last night I potted up another 18 and ran out of appropriate sized pots. So now Im up to 86 .. and I still have more!! I have resorted to cutting water jugs in half to use as pots :o)
    The moral of the story .. make sure you mark all of your cannas and plant only one kind in one area!!! Once I know whats what I will be trading like a mad woman!!! Heck I think a canna plant sale is in order!!! And to think I have ordered MORE!!!

Laura

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County