Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I dig up my canna?

Posted by martuna 8 bc, canada (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 13:23

I bought and planted a canna plant in a pot last year and it flowered forever. I didn't dig it up or do anything to it over the winter...is it going to survive and grow again? Should I did it up and check on it? When should I start to see if it survived? I love it and want to make sure I have one again this year!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I dig up my canna?

• Posted by Grant 6a - ON, Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 1, 05 at 17:33

Hi Martuna you are lucky that you live in a zone where you "should" be able to leaves cannas in the ground to over winter. I would tend to be optomistic that you will see your cannas again when it warms up, but cannas don't tend to do so well with a cold, wet, soggy soil. So if they don't make it this year for some reason, I would amend the soil where you have the cannas planted so it is better draining (mix in some horticultural sand or some organic material, or both, and while your at it you might as well throw in some well rotted manure) and try again. Once you have amended your planting bed try planting some test cannas (perhaps some cheaper ones that are easily replaced) to make sure that they will survive.

Anyway here's hoping that things work out well and your cannas grow to new heights.

Cheers,

Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here