Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljrmiller

Horn Canna Farm

ljrmiller
16 years ago

If rhizome size, condition and turgidity are any indication of overall Canna health, then I'm really happy with my just-received order from Horn Canna. I know I won't know about any possible virus infections until they leaf out.

Comments (10)

• ljrmiller
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I don't worry about carryover, because I only plant cannas in pots AND because they are essentially impossible to overwinter here.

I know--we are both in zone 7 and they should overwinter, but you have a long growing season, warm nights and warm soil because of those factors. I have a short growing season, nights consistently at least 20 degrees colder (usually 30 degrees colder), and cold soil. The rhizomes overwinter just fine in the ground, but never break dormancy in spring because of the cold soil. They eventually just rot away.

Even when I want to overwinter the cannas, they have to be dug and stored (with soil and a bit of regular watering or else they just dry up in our arid winters), or hauled in pots to the garage. It's crazy how different two gardens in the same cold hardiness zone can be!

Lisa

• shortyhead
    16 years ago

I just planted about 60 cannas from Horn. What happens with a virus and does it spread to the ground?
    Jim

• robcorreia
    16 years ago

Oh my, me too! Somebody please tell us what the canna virus looks like?!

• fatbaldguy
    16 years ago

Just google canna virus. There is a mosaic virus, and a yellow streak virus.

Warm soil temps, 9 or more hours of direct sun and plenty of water will assist the plant in overcoming the effects of virus'.

It is now thought that the canna virus have been present for several decades but were not recognized as such.

The virus' do not transmit through soil. It/they are transmitted by 'sucking' insects and poorly cleaned tools.

• mdalebo
    16 years ago

Try the link below, which covers almost everything currently known about Canna virus and includes photos of the various virus types.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canna News Virus Article

• fatbaldguy
    16 years ago

With all this talk of infected canna from Horn, I just had to experiment.

I ordered 10 rizhomes each of 'Firebird' and 'Black Knight'.

I received the order within 4 days. The rizhomes are moist and heavy, some already are sprouting. I do know that I would send larger rizhomes were it me.

I will plant them in a bed of their own and monitor their growth throughout the year.

I shall keep you all informed.

I might even learn to post photo's for your enjoyment.

• nightrider767
    16 years ago

One interesting note from that and other articles I've read is that the virus is probably not passed through seeds...

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Wow, what a buzz kill. But now I know what happened to my Bengals, and I thought I was just a bad canna mommy.

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

I don't think it matters where you buy them. Half of the Stutgard I bought this year from the local nursery died from virus.

I'll only grow from seed in the future, or rhyzomes from people I know.