Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siam_cannas

Canna Flame seeds for trade!!!!

siam_cannas
15 years ago

Hey everyone,

I picked my first pod of Canna Flame seeds. I only have enough to trade with a few people right now, but I will have more soon, ( pods on the cannas are ripening).

Canna flame is a medium height canna with large yellow flowers spotted red. It grows true from seeds. It was entered in to the canna internation trial in the Uk last year. I got seeds from my friend Keith Hayward of Hart canna.

Here is a picture of it.

{{gwi:458788}}

If you are interested in trading canna seeds please e-mail me touchmybody19@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Siam

Comments (12)

• canna2grow
    15 years ago

Siam,
    I have enjoyed your past post here, but regrettable suggest you double check your seedling of C. ÂFlame which was grown in the canna trials in the UK. You will find that C. ÂFlame is a garden hybrid that does NOT breed true or produce offspring true to type. This seedling is not C. ÂFlame and should not be referred to as such. It is only a seedling of that cultivar. I am sorry to point this out.
    Regards, Kent

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello kent,
    I have to call someone in the UK tomorrow and i will let you know.
    Its interesting how you say that you have enjoyed my posts, yet you have never commented on any even when i asked for other member's opinions.

Siam.

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello kent,
    I have heard that you have and sell cannas infected with CANNA VIRUS. Is that true? Most canna producers/ hybridizers have canna virus.

• canna2grow
    15 years ago

Siam,
    Following your last post, you apparently have another agenda. No question that in the past; all growers have dealt with canna virus along with a multitude of other issues. If you bothered to completely read my old profile you would have seen that I retired from the commercial business over 6 years ago and simply continue to grow a few cannas and occasionally post comments relative to the importance of an issue; I consider important. In your post you mistakenly suggested that your seedling was true to type. This is NEVER the case in typical canna hybrids. Knowledgeable professionals already know this. The canna world is full of misnamed cultivars resulting from this. In some cases it is simply an honest mistake or lack of knowledge and occasionally the individual has other motives.
    We all await your phone call inquiry and just for the record, I made the call before my post!
    Regards, Kent

• fatbaldguy
    15 years ago

Siam,

Dude, I was just starting to warm up to you. Attacks like yours show a smallness of mind and unwillingness to learn.

I will have no further contact with you.

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Kent.
    You have accused me of having another agenda. I don't! However, I could say that you have another agenda also and that maybe you dont want me to trade those seeds.
    In addition, why are you awaiting my response? You already made the phone call and have the answers, or else you would not have posted. I made the phone call and I dont have the answers!
    Furthermore, no one had the exact information until a few days ago when you saw the picture i posted and then proceeded to make your inquiries. And still there is alot to be questioned.

And Fatbaldguy, your jumping to conclusions and assuming that I am attacking Kent. For you information, I was not. Just inquiring. (You have stated you dont want to have contact with me therefore you should not reply). I am simply clearing up your misconception.

Siam

• dairymaid
    15 years ago

hi, i sure would like canna seedpods from you. i have blue jap mg seeds to trade.

• abutilon
    15 years ago

Siam,
    Kent was trying to help you to explain something important.
    I do not see he has an agenda. You might apologize to him as what you said is harsh and untrue. Kent helped me in my early days of growing, and I am ever grateful to him. Do not burn bridges with someone from whom you can learn a lot. And I hate to see people 'fall out' over a misunderstanding.

As for seeds of hybrid cannas, as Kent is explaining, they do not grow seedlings true to their parents. It is ok to say that 'Flame' is the pod parent the seeds came from, but also state that any seedlings will not be the parent or called 'Flame', as they will be new hybrids.

I don't know which 'Flame' Keith sent these seeds, but if it is from Chiltern's .. which I thought it was .. this seedling is not that as it has a small orange flower and this seedling does not. An example of how names get confused.

Good to see you all here :-)
    Alice

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Alice,
    Just as the Tropical Series grows true from seeds, I was told that canna Flame grows true from seeds. I know the difference between growing true from seeds and hybrid seeds from a pod parent. I dont think I need to apologize to anyone. Kent told me exactly what he wanted to say and as he wanted to say it and I told him back exactly what I thought.

Siam.

• abutilon
    15 years ago

OK, but that 'Flame' is not the true from seed that it is supposed to be. And I do not believe Kent should have been a victim for his input. But ok. We are all entitled to our opinions, as you are to your's, also. And I will not say more.
    All best to you :-)
    Alice

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your help and the information Alice. It was appreciated. I will think about what you said.
    I had reasons for the things I said. This is the end of my posting on this topic also. Its not going anywhere. You are right, we all have different takes on the issue. Whether i am wrong or not, I will know in time ( I have some experimenting to do). I wont be responding to any more posts on this issue.

Siam

• canna2grow
    15 years ago

Thanks for the effort Alice!
    For anyone interested in seeing the true C. ÂFlameÂ, they can view it at the link provided;
    http://www.clainescanna.co.uk/Trial2008/album.html
    You will need to open the file in the upper left corner labeled "Trial Photographs". There are at least 4 photos of ÂFlameÂ. As you can see, there is absolute no similarity to the seedling shown in this post. This is the typical result of growing any hybrid canna seed.
    Attached is a partial copy of the email I received from Keith Hayward who conducted the trials.
    "Kent; Siam's picture on Garden Web shows that Flame doesn't come true from seed.
    I sent him seed collected from my Flame, which is mostly red/orange blotches with yellow edges to the petal."

Regards,
    Kent

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?