Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peaches20

Another seed question

peaches20
16 years ago

Hi all,

I've gotta dumb question. My seeds are soaking in water and there's a bit of white growth. I'm assuming this is the root and will put in soil root down.

Thanks for the help. As you can tell this is my first time trying the canna seed.

Thanks,

Peaches

Comments (5)

• weirdtrev
    16 years ago

I always plant that white protrusion pointing up just because I fear it is delicate and don't want to risk breaking it. I believe the white structure actually differentiates into both the root and shoot. I have never had any problems they always grow fine.

Once I did wonder what would happen if I planted that white part down and that seed grew fine as well so it would seem that the plant has no problem growing in the correct direction.

• billy_kain
    16 years ago

Not trying to hijack your thread, Peaches20, but I have some confusion about canna seed, as well.

I have a lot of seed to experiment with (from an unknown canna that made seed like crazy), and have noticed a difference in the way it reacts.

I nicked each seed, and put it in warm water. Some germinated within a day or two. one or two waited a week or more, and some are still just sitting in the water.

My question is, what would a real canna grower do? Are the seeds that have not germinated, no good? Should I just plant them, and hope for the best? Should they be thrown out?
    Did I do something to cause this situation?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    John

• peaches20
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Now I'm wondering if I should turn my seeds to white stem (root) up?

Any help will be appreciated.

• billy_kain
    16 years ago

Peaches20,

From the experiments I have tried, I don't really think it matters which way the "rootlet" is pointed, as long as it is not broken or damaged.

I have some seed that was given to me, and do not intend to experiment with it. I will nick it, and after soaking for two days, plant it (whether a rootlet is showing or not).

The seed I am experimenting with is from an unknown red canna, that has smallish flowers. Grows about 4 feet high in my location. It has to be self pollinated. I do not have any idea how good the seed is, as I have only three plants a few inches high, and several seeds still in water.

If you are at all interested in experimenting, email me, and I will send some of this seed for you to try. I am NOT saying this is a good canna, but perhaps we can learn from trying different things with the seeds.

John

• quicksilver
    16 years ago

Under the proper conditions canna seeds should be viable for a long time. I'm not a expert by any means, but one method I've had success with was to score and place the seeds between a wet paper towel, then lay the paper towel inside a clear sealed sandwich bag. Put the plastic bag in a place where it will be warmed by the sun. You will be able to see when the seeds start to germinate.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County