Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel77_gw

Canna dilemma...please help

rachel77
18 years ago

I have a ton of Wyoming cannas that grow beautifully with very little care (I had no idea what I was doing last year). The thing is, I enjoy them but would rather have a different color because orange just isn't me. It just seems sad to do away with all of them, especially since they grow well. I only have one spot for cannas, and it's about five feet along a fence. My question is: does anyone mix cannas? Does it look good? (any pics??) I might be happier if I mixed the colors at least.

OR should I just give 'em away and start fresh? Do all cannas grow equally well (if I put them in the same spot as my old ones)? I'm afraid of getting a dud of a canna and thus getting stuck with no cannas at all. I'd rather have any color but orange or yellow, and not dwarf. What do you guys think???

Thanks!

R

Comments (9)

• rsieminski
    18 years ago

Put just about any canna in a moist but well drained sunny location, and they will grow like weeds. Wyoming is a shorter variety, so get some the same height, but dif color and alternate them in a line along the fence....or get taller ones(dif color) and put them to the back. They are all beautiful ans easy to grow. The colorful foliage is an added bonus. Check out:
    http://www.cannas.net/shop/cart.asp?action=catalog_start
    for the best pricing.

Match your wyoming with a few black knights, and a few Richard Wallace.

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    18 years ago

toss them, buy some new ones and get on with it. They're only plants.

Buy the ones you want.

I mix them all up all the time, dont; be afraid to try it. If it doesn't work to your liking, try a new mix next year!

good luck!

check out the canna photo marked "Canna Symphony in E flat"- LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boca Joe's canna

• rachel77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, so, I think I will take the leap and just get what I want. You're right--they're just plants! I just feel guilty. Everytime I SP a plant--whatever the reason--I find myself apologizing to the plant. I need to chill.:-)
    Except when I SP'd the wisteria...I had never been sooo happy.

I am now wanting to go with white/pink/salmon, med-tall. Any suggestions? I thought I remembered whites were hard to grow...or was that another plant??? Any experience growing whites?

Thanks!

R

• zitro_joe
    18 years ago

dig them up and put them in the front yard with a sign - they will be gone in about an hour. Someone else would love to have those wyomings. I went from 5 varieties to over 30 in the course of a year, so I guess you can say I mix them up. zitro_joe

• rachel77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have two friends that just bought houses, too. I think I'll try to pawn some off on them. :-)

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    18 years ago

go to Karchesky cannas website. They have a ton of killer cannas with white, cream, pink and salmon. They send very nice rhizomes. You can at least use them as a reference for photos if nothing else.

Boca Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Karchesky Cannas

• jenna1
    18 years ago

I've often mixed cannas over the years. Some mixtures worked, some didn't. But I tend to mix other plants, both annuals and perennials, along with them and those are the groupings that worked out the best.

I have trouble parting with plants, cannas included, unless they've spread to the point that they're coming out of my ears. Why not dig 'em up and pot them up in large pots? You could move them around to areas as accents or even on a patio, mixed with other potted plants to make pleasing groupings. That's something that I learned from Boca Joe years ago.

Jenna

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

Go to the plant exchange and try to trade your cannas. Many people grow the wyomings merely for the burgundy foliage. You might be able to trade them for something else you'd like.

The white ones are not hard to grow. They're just rare and a bit expensive. Also, the ones I've seen are dwarfs, as are the salmon ones I have.

If you're not opposed to red, check www.cannas.net for Black Knight. It's a beautiful tall dk red flowering variety with dark foliage. It's one of my faves.

I also love growing Florence Vaughn (Horns calls it Yellow King Humbert). I usually don't like orange, but the bloom is orange and yellow splotched and it's very striking and very prolific.

A tall salmon/peachy colored one would be Omega, but it's not commonly sold. Karchesky may have some though.

• littleme
    18 years ago

I mix my cannas and it looks great. I like the eclectic look of different colors together. Also, another advantage to mixing them is that some will keep blooming while other types are at rest. That way, you will always be assured of having blooms in the mix. I live in Hawaii so I like to have them blooming all the time, throughout the year, all year long. Here's what they look like in my garden, both mixed and by themselves (click on this link) http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/littleme_hi/album?.dir=c796&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Here is a link that might be useful: LITTLEME'S CANNAS

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths