Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canna seeds

Posted by azalyssa AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 21:05

Will City of Portland and Pink Futurity cannas grown from seed look like the parent plant or did I make a lousy purchase when I bought the seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canna seeds

• Posted by hollakes VIC/NSW/SA border co (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 8:24

I posted a picture and methond on how I germinate canna seed very easily done
Bev

Here is a link that might be useful: canna seeds

o

I used a Dremel to nick the seeds and soaked them close to 3 days -- no little roots appeared even though they swelled up considerably. I went ahead and planted them in a Jiffy-pot mini green house and stuck it in my window. I guess I should just wait and see. I got the seeds for next to nothing on Ebay. Next time, I'm buying the rhizome and skipping this seed stuff!

o

First off, all of my knowledge about cannas can be fitted on a matchbook cover written with a crayon. I was given some canna variabilis by a wonderful person in a newbie seed swap. I first used a sheet of sandpaper to remove the outside layer of the seed. Successfull but slow. Next I used a bench grinder at work. Rather fast, but I lost a few of the seeds when they went flying out of the pliers to parts unknown. In both cases my goal was to remove the outer shell and expose white. In both methods I found that the spot where the seed will sprout is visible as soon as you remove enough of the outer casing.

o

Growing canna from seed is fun; unless you're growing a species, you're never quite sure what you'll end up with. It's so easy to harvest your own seed and get them to germinate (even if you only soak them and don't nick the seeds, most will germinate eventually with some heat, although it may take some weeks), and they're no trouble to grow on. They reach flowering size in their first year, even in the cooler, lower light conditions of the UK. Who could resist it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here