Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zitro_joe

Canna 'Candy Festival'

zitro_joe
18 years ago

I ordered this canna I just recieved it today, wow! This a small rhizomes. I called another grower that I knew was growing this canna. He said it was growing reeeeaaaaaalllly slow for him and doesn't know if he feels comfortable selling it just yet. Does anyone else have any past dealings with this canna.

I saw it was introduced last year by Far East Plants. Does anyone have any knowledge of their other introductions from last year?

I also bought some 'Pink Sunburst' and I don't have high hopes that it will survive the night. I dont like naming company's names on the internet but if you email and ask I will inform you who I bought it from. *****note**** I aslo bought some Dahlias and Gladioli and they are of good quality. I think this person has a bad supplier for cannas. I have seen his name mentioned here before for bad cannas.

joe

Comments (12)

• bigred
    18 years ago

I bought "Milk Festival"(same grower/hybridizer,of Candy Festival). Wasn't happy w/ size,price or service since one of the 3 supposedly 2-3 eyed rhizomes was mushy and smelly.When I contacted company they sent a letter stating that plants are sometimes dormant above arrival. Well there's dormant and then there's dead and being a small commercial grower,I think I can tell the differnce.

Sounds like we're both dealing with the same company.

I receieved a start of Pink Sunburst in trade about 3 yrs ago and while it's not as fast a grower as Bengal Tiger,Tropicana and some others I have,I've come to the conclusion that the dwarves are just slow growers.

P

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My 2-3 eye rhizomes measure 1.5 inches long. I have been wonder where these 2-3 eyes are hidding. I do a lot of trades and I would never trade a rhizome that small. I cant imagine selling one that small!!!

joe

• mareas
    18 years ago

Joe, I sympathize with you! Those 'Festival' canna flower photos are so seductive that I wasted money on 'Milk Festival', too. The expensive, skinny 3 inch rhizome never did manage to sprout. But I STILL had to check out this thread in hope of good news, canna addict that I am, lol! I read that the 'Festivals' were hybridized & grown overseas - must be shipped on the slow boat... [and then stored badly!]

Both my 'Pink Sunbursts' have shoots that have been 8 inches tall since last July - with only a couple new leaves since then - very slow growers indeed, although they have stayed colorful & appear happy enough in their pot. Here's hoping for flowers this year ~ marea

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well one of the two very small 'Candy Festival' rhizomes has two stalks popping out of the ground. They look healthy so that is good. The pink sunburst is showing no signs of growth. I guess I will have to order them from another grower. Can anyone offer a place to get them (other than ebay)?

Zitro_Joe

• gw:pagan_oz
    18 years ago

I ordered Candy Festival from ebay, I was concerned when it finally arived on a back order, due to its size, or rather lack of and also how dry it appeared. It hasn't shot yet, all of the others planted at the same time have, with great vigour. In conversation with a friend she asked "when mine grows could she have some because hers had failed to survive and the ebay supplier had been uncooperative about replacement, sounds like an ever repeating story. I too would be interested in a reliable source if anybody knows of one.

• wolflover
    18 years ago

I bought 'Espresso Festival' on eBay last spring (from a different seller than Joe, I think), and it was the tiniest little rhizome I'd ever seen, and partially rotten. I contacted the seller about my disappointment and she was kind enough to refund my money. Her supplier was someone overseas. I told her I would be interested in another rhizome if she got some decent looking ones. I really wanted that canna. 'Candy Festival' looks very nice too. They must all be coming from the same overseas supplier.

I got Pink Sunburst in a trade last summer, and it's been very slow growing. It had several sprouts up until a few nights ago when we had a late freeze of 22*, which killed it back. I sure hope it will come out of it. I really love it even if it's slow growing.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good News - I potted my two 'Candy Festival' rhizomes. I used a high grade soil and placed it in bright light. Growth has been decent and I am happy. I decided to plant them in the ground. When I pulled the rhizomes out of the pot I was surprised by how much the rhizome had increased in size.

Bad News - I had to go out of town last week and it froze over night. I was not at home to cover them for safety. I lost all growth on one rhizome and the other only has freeze burn on the edge of the foliage. Only the foliage was affected by the freeze. I checked the rhizomes and they seem healthy enough to keep trucking ( fingers crossed )

The 'Pink Sunburst' rhizomes are toast. I will order some from Hughs Water Shop (?). I have seen good reponses from people that have purchased from them.

Zitro_Joe

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

Zitro_Joe,
    I hope they make it!

Wolflover, I, too, just ordered a espresso and a pink sunburst (along with some china dolls) from McClure & Zimmerman. I haven't gotten them yet but I couldn't resist the pink sunburst, and then I saw the expresso and that cinched it! I'll let you know what they look like when I get them. Brent & Becky's had musafolia (the other one I really want!) and sunburst but were sold out (:( I figured I will just have to wait until next year for a candy festival when the growers have more stock and for some zodiacs when the price (hopefully) comes down!

Does anyone else know of any sources besides Karpenskis (sp?) for the zodiacs? $25 a pop is just way too expensive!

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

pagan.oz can you please email me. I am trying to respond to your request for a trade but there is something on GW that blocks me from visiting your "My Page"

Zitro_Joe

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

I've had Pink Sunburst several times, and it's just a difficult one to grow. It is a slow grower and spreader. And all of mine died. So I've given up on it for now.

My other dwarves--Red Wine, Spitfire, Orange Blush, Apricot Frost, Tropical Sunrise, etc. are quite prolific. I don't have any problem with them. But Pink Sunburst is just an unhappy little critter.

I've also tried Stuttgart a number of times, with no success. I just ordered 3 more and will give it one more shot. If these don't make it, I'll give up on that one too.

Many of the more expensive ones are expensive because they're in demand but reproduce slowly. So that may be a clue to us that they do not perform quite as well as the cheaper, more readily available cannas.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's about freaking time. Worth the wait.
    {{gwi:529207}}
    {{gwi:529208}}

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Joe, Beautiflower flower! I sent you an email!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH