Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dorothy S Canna

Posted by stharper (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 22:49

I am trying to find the Dorothy S canna. It is a sport of President developed by my great grandfather. He shipped them all over the country in the early 1940s. In 1943 he shipped 25000 to American Bulb Co in Chicago. If you know where I can find some, please email me at sharpr43@gmail.com. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dorothy S Canna

Unfortunately you are not providing much information that would aid some of our historic research. Is the actual name of your grandfathers canna simply C. Dorothy S? Did your grandfather register the cultivar with the SAF (Society of American Florist) or one of the horticultural societies? What was his name?
The American Bulb Company certainly did exist in the 1940s but I have never seen a canna list published by them. The 1940 era was preoccupied with the war beginning in Europe and much of the horticulture industry began to decline in favor of "Victory Gardens" producing staple items for their consumption. Can you give a description for this cultivar?
Sorry that this is of little help, but there were hundreds of new canna cultivars being released in this time frame. Almost all those cannas have been lost.
Regards,
Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here