Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickster257

Is it time to start cannas indoors?

vickster257
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

Every Spring, in the garage where my cannas are stored over the winter, I think about the method to prestart the tubers. Last year I used gallon baggies with a little soil over them and it was ok. Can you give me your method to start them and what date is best to do so?

Vicki

Comments (7)

• nightrider767
    16 years ago

I don't have any inovative methods. I mean, on my end, I'd mix some nice soil up into pots and dump the canna in.

I just wanted to touch on something you may already know. From what I've seen, the canna rhyzome are looking for some warm temperature to sprout. I see that going on in my yard right now. We had a warm spell and they started to grow, but now it's cooled down and they've stopped.

I don't know what the magic number is for temperature. But if your garage is in the 50's they might not do much at all, and it might put a damper on your early start.

If I was in your shoes I'd find a nice cozy warm place for them.

EIther way good luck!

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

I take cardboard boxes, open up one of the larger ends, line with a black plastic bag.

then i place a 2-3 inch thick layer of wood shavings/ mulch. you can use potting soil or anything else. the tubers lay on top, close to each other but not touching.

top the whole thing off with mulch or soil and place the box somewhere warm, indoors at room temp. is fine.

in 2-3 weeks, shoots have started. let them grow about another 3-4 weeks somewhere bright. water every few days, but not much - remember, there are no drainage holes (not as messy that way)

I then put them outside somewhere sheltered for 10-14 days to acclimate, and when ready to plant i take them out of the boxes and plant as usual.

here in zone 7, they flower by June with a head start and don't stop until the fall.

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

I am in SW Ontario--Z-6--is it time to bring them up and start them now? I think we won't be able to have them outside until at least the end of May, so wondered how long they take to get a good size before they are too big for inside.
    gg

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

Greylady...yes start them now. I started a couple of "cleopatra" at the end of last month, and they are already a ft tall in 10" pots.

End of May is when mine will go out also, so you might want to start now in order to get some height on them.

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

thanks....I only have three that I left in their pots over the winter, so will get them upstairs and start watering. One of them has insisted on growing anyway...it has sent up shoots a couple of times over the winter even though it has had no water and very little light.
    gg

• dlpasti
    16 years ago

Got some of mine potted up last week---zone 4, of the 11 planted, 4 are about 2 inches tall already. Great idea xerophyte---most of what I have left have already started in the tubs I stored them in---just need to take the lids off and go with that.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio