Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_mariss

Spacing Cannas in Garden

ms.mariss
18 years ago

What happens if you plant Cannas too close together? I would like to plant them closer than 18 inches.

Comments (9)

• skygardening
    18 years ago

If you dig yours up in the fall anyway, you can get away with planting them a little closer. Cannas need room to multiply, and if they are too close the ground becomes too compact.

• laughlivegrow_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

So if I plant them to close they might not multiply, but will they still bloom this season? Not the brightest question, but I don't want to waste them.

• canna2grow
    18 years ago

Spacing of canna rhizomes depends on several factors. The 18" recommendation is generally suggested for the spacing in a "bed" of cannas and not a single row or two. The length of the local growing season is certainly a consideration. The most obvious reason not to space closely is to prevent the mature rhizomes from becoming entangled and creating serious difficulty in separating each cultivar at harvest time. If all plants are of like kind, that is not a problem. In areas where the growing season extends for several months, lodging of the plants, bloom reduction, disease transmission, air flow reduction allowing the plant foliage to dry, etc. are often associated with dense populations of plants. These concerns should be considered.
    In most growing areas it is much better if the cannas are spaced to allow for maximum growth. Depending on oneÂs planting area, 12" to 18" is a better choice in my opinion.
    Kent

• jroot
    18 years ago

I do agree with you Kent. Air circulation is indeed a very valid consideration. I should have mentioned where I plant mine, they are in a row in an area where there is a constant wind blowing. I have no problem with mold growing there. I still like the clump look though, but based upon your recommendation, I will probably stretch the space to about a footapart. Thanks for your input.

• laughlivegrow_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

Thank you for info!

• LilyLauren
    18 years ago

Last spring I planted about a dozen cannas, 12" apart. They mulitiplied like crazy during the summer and fall. I will likely need to thin them next spring. I would recommend spacing them no less than 12", unless you don't mind thinning them every couple years.

• Giuseppe Curcuru
    6 years ago

How far away from a wall space do you need when planting next to a fence or wall?

• Shelby Fields
    4 years ago

Giuseppe I am wondering the same thing as I am currently working the solid and prepping a north facing wall of our home for some Cannas

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio