Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing Cannas in Garden

Posted by
ms.mariss 6
(laughlivegrow@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Mar 12, 06 at 8:43

What happens if you plant Cannas too close together? I would like to plant them closer than 18 inches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing Cannas in Garden

If you dig yours up in the fall anyway, you can get away with planting them a little closer. Cannas need room to multiply, and if they are too close the ground becomes too compact.

o

So if I plant them to close they might not multiply, but will they still bloom this season? Not the brightest question, but I don't want to waste them.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 10:45

Of course they will bloom. I find that planting close ( I plant mine about 6 inches apart ) makes a really nice mass of foliage and flowers. However, skygardening is quite correct when saying that they need room for the roots to spread. I dig mine up every year, so this is not a problem for me. I dig and separate and then pack away. What skygardening is saying is that if you leave the tubers in the ground ( in the south), then the roots will become impacted and overcrowded.

o

Spacing of canna rhizomes depends on several factors. The 18" recommendation is generally suggested for the spacing in a "bed" of cannas and not a single row or two. The length of the local growing season is certainly a consideration. The most obvious reason not to space closely is to prevent the mature rhizomes from becoming entangled and creating serious difficulty in separating each cultivar at harvest time. If all plants are of like kind, that is not a problem. In areas where the growing season extends for several months, lodging of the plants, bloom reduction, disease transmission, air flow reduction allowing the plant foliage to dry, etc. are often associated with dense populations of plants. These concerns should be considered.
In most growing areas it is much better if the cannas are spaced to allow for maximum growth. Depending on ones planting area, 12" to 18" is a better choice in my opinion.
Kent

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 15, 06 at 10:46

I do agree with you Kent. Air circulation is indeed a very valid consideration. I should have mentioned where I plant mine, they are in a row in an area where there is a constant wind blowing. I have no problem with mold growing there. I still like the clump look though, but based upon your recommendation, I will probably stretch the space to about a footapart. Thanks for your input.

o

Thank you for info!

o

Last spring I planted about a dozen cannas, 12" apart. They mulitiplied like crazy during the summer and fall. I will likely need to thin them next spring. I would recommend spacing them no less than 12", unless you don't mind thinning them every couple years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here