Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UT Orange Canna Question

Posted by tn_veggie_gardner 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 10:34

A very simple one that I am not aware of as i've never grown Canna's before. The 4 I have I got from a friend at a plant swap last Fall. Will they come back this year & if so, any preferred fertilizer/growing medium they like? Please let me know.

Thanks! - Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UT Orange Canna Question

Not to self: Don't post thread on Canna forum cuz it's apparently hopeless unless you know someone on there. ;-)

o

Hi,

Are the corms in the ground or stored in a basement? If they are in the ground in zone 7 it's best to mulch heavy over the winter. If they are in a basement or cool area wait to after first frost and if the corms are healthy they should come back and flower this year. As far as fertilizer goes I grow mine without any and they still do great. They appreciate a lot of sun for growth.

Asageman

o

Thanks for the reply/info. =) Sorry about my initial response. Maybe i'm just used to much busier forums. Anyways, while doing some getting-ready-for-Spring gardening this past weekend, I checked out the bed that my Canna's are in. There is a small (about an inch or so) stub poking out of the soil right where one of my Orange Cannas is! =) I figured the new ones would grow in the same spot as the old ones (ya know, grow through the old/dead foliage, eventually shedding it off), but I guess not...lol. One way or another, i'm happy they have returned.

- Steve

o

This isn't the most active forum. The orange is a pest here in UT land!
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here