Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size pot should I use to start my tubers?

Posted by Ainhoa z5/z6 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 05 at 11:03

I bought some canna tubers yesterday at Walmart and was thinking of starting them this weekend. Was wondering what size container I should use and what the recommended potting medium would be. Was thinking of a mixture of potting mix plus compost.

Also, would I wait for the last frost to plant them outside in my zone?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size pot should I use to start my tubers?

Hi,

I would cram them in the smallest, shallow pots (plastic is fine) you can fit them in. Make sure t hey have lots of drain holes and BARELY dampen the mix until you see good root growth.That way, the roots will fill the container rapidly, less chance of rot inside, and take up less space.

They really need heat and light/sun to get a good start.
I have done this for years and had very good luck!

Boca Joe

o

Thank you! I am excited to give them a try.

o

I have mine growing inside in pots ranging in size from 6-12 inches. They do really well in Miracle Gro potting mix. They are the easiest plants to grow. I keep mine in a sunny window and they're growing like crazy. I put them outside in the daytime and bring them in at night because night temps are in the low 40's right now in zone 5.

o

I used a container from the icicle pansies I got last fall-seemed to be a good size for four tubers.
Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here