Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_plant_addict

These canna rhizomes were determined to sprout! : )

Hello everyone! My name is Ashley, I'm new to Cannas and the Canna forum. I began to notice Cannas about a year ago, there was a house down the street from my apt that had a fence lined with cannas! So beautiful! Maroon foliage with bright orange flowers, it was always a pleasure to walk passed them.

So, I moved to Dallas and decided I wanted to try to grow smaller cannas in my back patio. I bought 4 bulbs/rhizomes of assorted mini cannas in Janurary, they were in a dark green bag and sealed. I forgot about them until now....

I read that feb and march are the times to plant canna in my zone so I bought soil and a long pot to plant them in. As I picked the bag of cannas up I realized it was heavier and not flimsy as before but puffed up completely. I could feel the stems that had grown in the dark bag for a couple of months. Poor plants! I felt so bad!

This is right after I opened the bag....they were all clumped together but it was easy to seperate them.

{{gwi:529631}}

Here they are in their new open home! :) The bag said there were 4 but I count 6! :) The middle two stems sprouted from one rhizome

{{gwi:529632}}

The stems are snapped, broken and some are slimy and rotting. I think that once they are out in the sun they should begin to perk up.

I will cut the black leaves and stems off but should I also cut the stems that are bent?

{{gwi:529633}}

Also, I think that the pot I bought is too small. Is it? If so, how much bigger should I go since these are "mini" canna?

Thanks for the help!

Ashley

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living