Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Grow Canna Stuttgart?

Posted by Mikey SoCA-Z10-22/23 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 05 at 13:45

I've wanted a Stuttgart rhizome for some time and this fall a GW friend gave me a small potted plant. He said he has been unsuccessful growing them and hoped I had better luck. Well you guessed it; it's now but a memory. All my other cannas thrive. What's the skinny on growing a Stuttgart? Does it need acidic soil? Do I need to do some sort of dance? Lay hands on it? Come on folks, tell me your success stories.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Grow Canna Stuttgart?

I've tried for two years. Last year did the epsom salt thing ... still no real good luck at keeping the leaves from browning. I did get flowers each year though ... but the plants were pretty bad looking.

Your mileage may vary.

Bob

o

I haven't grown one but I'm guessing because it has varigated foliage it needs afternoon shade or maybe dappled light under a tree perhaps? I know that the varigated brugmansia Peaches and Cream has to have shade and will burn in full sun.

o

Oh Sh*t. I've just bought one. The photo on the packet looked fantastic. Not a scorch mark in sight!

o

hi gang-

it may be the dry AIR in California that is the culprit. I have grown mine outside (in Maryland) for years. I get some slight browning occasionally but they really seem to thrive in full sun ,rich soil and lots of water. You may want to try it as an aquatic plant and see if it helps.

I never do have to do anything special with mine.

check out my photos (mine are all in pots in full sun)
Good luck!

Boca Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Boca Joe's Cannas

o

My stuttgart canna grow like weeds here in CA during the warm months. They started growing about a month ago. They are under the shade of a big Hong Kong Orchid tree. They flower at about 8 feet. The soil is pretty heavy clay that has been covered with compost every year for the last 15 years so the soil probably has lost some of its alkalinity, but I wouldn`t call it acid soil. I`ve never put any peat moss down in that area.

I`m in south Orange County about 10 miles inland from the ocean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here