Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
worried

Posted by dmcdorman Missouri (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 14:45

we didnt get much snow in northern kc this year. i cut my cannas back to a couple inches and mulched around them to provide frost protection.

the stems turned brown and dead and i have not seen any new growth. anyone know when i should expect them to start coming back?

should i remove the mulch to let them "breathe" more? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: worried

In your area, overwintering in the ground is risky and survival depends on preventing the underground rhizome from freezing or sitting in water saturated soil. Hopefully, you provided enough mulch.
The brown dead stems are normal. You can choose to remove the mulch and see what happens. Better yet, lift the plant and check to see if the rhizomes have survived. It should not be soft or mushy. You can than replant the healthy rhizomes. Soil tempts are still cold and you are not likely to see much growth.

Kent

o

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll leave them because they're in a small bed and I may do more harm digging them up.

Should I remove some of the mulch to allow them air to breathe and grow or just leave it as is and they'll grow through?

o

One is coming up. Hoping the other follows suit soon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here