Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydneypie_gw

Anyone have any good ideas on companion plants?

sydneypie
19 years ago

I have cannas in front of a 6ft wood fence and I love the tropical look. Anyone have any ideas on plants that would work well in front of them? Or just any plants in general that can hold up next to a canna.

Thanks,

Sydneypie

Comments (14)

• mdalebo
    19 years ago

Companion plants should be giving their companions a positive advantage other than just looking good, or, perhaps that is a companionable thing to do.

We grow many types of Lavandula (Lavender) under the feet of our Canna, they do not conceal anything interesting on Canna and they provide the very positive benefits of strong perfume (canna has none) and they inhibit aphids, in fact aphids hate Lavendula.

Sounds very companionable to me :-)

• JohnnieB
    19 years ago

Big grasses look great with the taller cannas (and why anybody would grow short cannas is quite beyond me)--dark leafed grasses like Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' with plain green cannas, or green grasses like Pennisetum alopecuroides & various Miscanthus with dark-leafed cannas.

Crocosmia 'Lucifer' goes well with just about any canna, and provides early color by blooming a bit earlier than the taller cannas. Unfortunately the foliage nearly always gets mites in my garden and looks awful by mid-summer...

Verbena bonariensis is a tried-and-true partner with cannas.

I'm also rather fond of cleome, and just about all colors go well with cannas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cannas &c.

• sydneypie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the great ideas and beatiful pictures.
    Boca Joe, are all your cannas in pots? They are beautiful on your deck.
    I just happened to have some Cleome and Impatiens winter sowing as we speak a long with some of my canna seeds from last year.
    Thanks again,
    Sydneypie

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    19 years ago

yes they are all in pots. They do extremely well for me.

Boca Joe

• Nancy
    19 years ago

Some melampodium came up accidentally last year in front of some canna, I really liked the way it looked.

• vickster257
    19 years ago

I also like the look of Gerberas, Lisianthus, osteospermum, orn. grasses, black eyed susans, lavender, cosmos, and zinnias. Most of these are hot colors which add so much contrast to your canna plantings in the garden and containers.

Vicki

• mdalebo
    19 years ago

Please don't forget scent when you choose your companions, canna lacks scent and companions should supply that for them.

• prairie_love
    19 years ago

I grow cannas specifically because the hummingbirds like them, so I grow hummingbird favorites along with them too. And mine are in pots also (and I never thought about them breaking the pot, now I'm scared!). I usually have zinnias, terra cotta million bells, white annual phlox, blue salvia for contrast - mostly hot colors with a little blue. This isn't a great picture, but might show you how they look (the cannas weren't blooming yet).
    {{gwi:23910}}

Ann

• minibite
    19 years ago

Last year I tucked in some coleus for contrast and even basil right next to them in pots and all thrived well. How about caladiums for a more tropical look, but I'm not sure what growing conditions they like.

Janine

• 3dawgs
    19 years ago

How about nasturiums?
    Jen

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    18 years ago

I had a few extras this year. I planted one behind a hosta. The canna provides some shade for the hosta. Both plants love the water. This canna seems to be one of the better growers this year.

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

I saw a landscape picture with black eyed susan, baby's breath in front of it and variegated liriope in the front. It was awesome! I've tried to mimic it.

Nancy

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

Boca Joe, is that umbrella spoke thing with the cannas papyrus? it's great.

Sydney, I like salvias near mine - taller ones like Purple Majesty, and ornamental sweet potato at their feet. Hibiscuses are fun too - I'm growing Red Shield this year. And tropical looking vines on trellises.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting