Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clump O' Canna

Posted by peatpod Z5b Ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 05 at 17:49

Well, last year I planted some cannas in pots .. the pot broke and I was left with this mess .. what I lovingly refer to as my clump o'cannas :o) How do I divide these??
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then there are the really LONG Rhizomes .. this one is over a foot and a half long!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

How do I divide these .. any advise would be great.

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clump O' Canna

Take a shovel and slice between the eyes. As long as a piece has at least one eye, it will send up a plant and then the rhizome will continue to grow and produce more growing eyes.

Rebecca

o

• Posted by Grant 6a - ON, Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 27, 05 at 20:54

Hi Laura, there are many ways to divide a canna but like Rebecca said always try to have at least 1 eye per division, 2-3 eyes being a little better. I find the best way to start is to clean all the dirt off the rhizome using the garden hose prior to dividing. I usually divide mine by following the natural break point (waist) of the canna rhizome where it narrows and just snap it off - other times I use a knife to divide at the same points. If in doubt make your division bigger rather than smaller one.

o

Thank you both for the advise.

Grant that is normally what I do. This year I am starting to pot up my cannas early so as to extend their growing period .. you know how it is :o) I usually wait until I plant them in the garden in the spring and just find the natural breaking point and ta da .. these however are pretty sturdy little rhizomes to say the least. Im sure I will figure it out and be amazed at how well they will do :o) I just dont want to loose too many :o) Greedy arnt I :o)

Laura

o

Just incase anyone is interested .. that one clump when divided = 25 three eyed rhizomes!!!! Thats what I get for planting in a huge pot. I still cant believe they broke the pot.

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here