Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh for more space for my already sprouting cannas :(

Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 18:51

I checked my cannas today, and was quite surprised to see that they have already begun to sprout in spite of the 50 degree temperature and NO light. Some shoots are about 8 inches long already, and will produce "lanky" stems at best.

I know that I probably should pot them up soon, but am wondering if I "just forget about them" for another month, do you think they will put out new shoots later? I am hoping that this will happen.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh for more space for my already sprouting cannas :(

Some of mine have shoots as well. I store mine in a cool dark place (well cupboard). I'm thinking of potting them inside to get them growing. I nicked and sprouted some seeds and have them started as well. I was at the local garden center today and they have canna roots for sale. So of course, I couldn't resist buying a couple more. Canna has become my obsession in the past couple of year.

o
RE: Oh for more space for my already sprouting cannas :(

A canna sprouting in storage is a fairly common occurrence and generally is not a problem except the new tender growth may encourage young insects to multiply and feed on the tender growth. You can choose to remove the excessive growth just prior to planting and usually new growth will arise from either the center of the removed sprout or at the base of the same. I would cut back all sprouts that exceed three or four inches. If this tall new growth is planted and exposed to the typical outside conditions it will generally sun/wind burn and grow very slowly. Please do not remove the sprout all the way to the rhizome.
Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here