Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long can cannas be stored

Posted by deborahw 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 21:41

I'm in Chicago (zone 5) and plant cannas every year. I pull and store them each autumn. We're going to have extensive work done on our property this year and I don't think I'll be able to safely plant my stored cannas this year. Is it possible to continue to store them through the entire year and have them be viable in 2009?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long can cannas be stored

Welcome to Garden Web! I think it all depends on how you store them. I traded some later this last fall and stored them in my basement. Doesn't look like they made it as they are all dried up. I guess if I had planted them in peatmoss or something they might of made it. If you can't grow them in your yard try growing them in a container....I know they generally grow pretty good that way. If that's not going to work for you I'll be more than happy to babysit them for you. LOL....
Good Luck. PamCrews

o

I would grow them in a pot this year..wouldn't want to chance that long of storage.

o

Since you are interrupting a canna's normal life cycle by digging them up and storing them, they need to grow somewhere during the summer, whether in pots or in the ground. Since they reproduce via rhizomes and not bulbs, (bulbs can be stored without moisture in most cases), rhizomes will eventually dry out and die, especially without a normal growing season.

o

We had the same issue when we had a big renovation. I would go down to your local garden center and get very large plastic containers and plant your canna in them. Give them to friends/family who have the space and can spend the time watering daily. Your cannas need soil in the spring to grow and cannot be dormant for that long. If you interrupt their pattern, they will die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here