Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marthapartha

Canna Bulbs for gifts?

marthapartha
19 years ago

As a token of rememberance, our family wanted to give bulbs to those who attend a memorial service.

Originally, the idea was to offer tulip bulbs. AAAAHH - finding out there are no tulip bulbs to be had, we were wondering if Canna bulbs would be a suitable alternative.

The idea came from, ironically, tulips.com's Bridal Bulbs concept.

We would package the bulbs in loose netted bags as tulips.com had indicated with instructions included.

Bad idea or good idea?

MARF

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulips.Com

Comments (8)

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    19 years ago

I think that is a wonderful way to honor someone, and cannas are easy for most people.

Boca Joe

• peatpod
    19 years ago

I agree with Boca Joe .. its a wonderful idea and the plants will grow all season long therefore honoring a life though all seasons. What a wonderful idea :o)

Laura

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Has anyone ever ordered from Westminster Nursery?

I called Tulips.com and they were very nice. They recommended several places, most notably dutchgardens.com and growingtulips.com others were dutchflowerbulbs.com and dutchbulbs.com.

Not only were the above of the highest price, they were of the highest quality. The bulbs and/or corms are shipped fresh from Holland, and (I'm assuming not Holland, Michigan) making their trip too long to meet my deadline of April 28.

Sixty to 75 bucks, or close to it, doesn't sound bad to me.

Where I was looking that doesn't buy many Canna's.

Anyone got a great Canna place, reasonable?

marf

• dighappy
    19 years ago

Horn canna farm is also a great site for rhizomes. They ship relatively quickly and have a nice selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: horn canna farm

• abutilon
    19 years ago

My canna 'Beloved' is growing in many memory gardens.
    So much of it was shared last year ..most for the above reason .. we can't share anymore until fall.
    It was introduced to remember my brother John's life. I have been honoured it went so far beyond that it grows to honour many loved ones' lives.
    Thanks to all we shared 'Beloved'.
    Alice

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dighappy:

I ordered 200 Canna "bulbs" (rhizomes) from Horn Canna farm. Thank you for the link!

The memorial service has been delayed until May 7th 2005.

Horn has already delivered the goods. This gives me plenty of time to pack 3 Canna's together in their respective, decorative, punch-holed, cellophane treat bags.

Alice: Thanks for sharing your experience. After seeing a Canna "bulb" for the very first time in my life, I wondered if I had made a big goof. They are as far from a bulb as a root can be. I have never seen a Canna flower in my life. I hope mine grows (we are still having below 32 degree nights, I have to wait until the end of May to plant them.

There is something about south-central Wisconsin weather. We just got through with some 84 degree days. Now its colder than...well its cold. For some weather related reason, will we have more 84 degree days real soon, only then to be followed by a May31st frost. Happens almost every year.

The nurseries make a bundle here. Everyone has to replace everything two or three times before the summer gets started.

marf

• flowerpower326
    18 years ago

i think giving a long lasting flower is a beautiful gift for anyone, but especially for a wedding. Nothing like watching something grow year after year.Nice sentiment.

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It is a nice gesture for a wedding, unfortunately I'm borrowing from the bridal theme for an informal memorial (funeral) tribute along the lines of 'plant a memory'.

I agree, the "Bulbs for Brides" wedding favor is a giant leap for manking over those stale Jordan Almonds or Hershey Kisses wrapped to look like rose (yeah, really) for wedding favors.

Thanks for the encouragement.

marf