Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cannas are trying to escape

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 3:45

hahaha!!! :)

I've got a 32g bucket. I put the rhizomes last year around late September. Then I put some peat moss, saw dust, etc. I covered it with a huge black trash can bag. Lastly, I put the bucket in the darkest corner of my basement. Today, the trash can bag is upright. LOL. The stems are also exposed. :)

Anyways, it's my first time to see this. When I plant it out, do I cut all the stems? The stems are pale green.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cannas are trying to escape

You need to plant them very soon or they will die, as they have sprouted.

o

I don't think you have to cut out the stems before planting. I would not do that. I have similar issues with plants in baggies that sprout. Just plant with the stems as soon as possible. The stems will green up once you put them outside. I forgot to say this earlier.

o

Oh no, I just saw your message. It's had the stem for almost 3weeks now or more. It's about 4 ft tall but still covered with the trash can bag.

Ok, I won't cut and I will plant it once I get home tomorrow from work. I'll take a pic too! :)

o
correction

Trash plastic bag not the can :)

o

Saw them tonight and all the stems were down. I'll plant them tomorrow.

Oh, I forgot that I have 5 other bags that contain cannas. All had shoots!

Here they are.

o

I was able to plant at least 8 rhizomes this evening! :)

Maybe 40 more to go! LOL!

o

After seeing your photo, I think you would be better served if you cut all the taller growth back. The non-removal of all this tender growth will put a great deal of stress on the ability of the root system to sustain adequate moisture and nutrients for good growth. Chances are this new "tender" growth will scorch from both the wind and direct sunlight. Cutting back the foliage back to about 3-5 inches of the soil line will allow the plants to become adjusted and new growth will be emerge.

Regards,
Kent

o

Thanks Kent! I will do that tomorrow before I head to work! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here