Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help w/ dried bulbs please?!

Posted by jjdbike PA z6a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 8:10

Last year I bought some beautiful cannas. At the end of the season I dug them up, trimmed and washed them. I put them in my basement. They dried out and were not covered in pete or anythng else. Are they gonners or do I have a chance of haveing them grow & bloom? I believe I did this once before. I planed them in the ground and the grew very slowly. The didn't bloom until frost. If thats the case is there a way to jump start them. Can I soak them in compost tea and plant them in pots on the deck until they start to grow? HOw shlud I fertalize them to maximise and quicken growth?
Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help w/ dried bulbs please?!

I dug mine up last year, did no prepping for winter...just left the root balls in pails. I misted them with water occasionally, and they started growing in February. I've since taken some of the larger actively growing plants and potted them. Try misting them and seeing what happens...if you get shoots, great! Mine are growing like weeds! I'm looking forward to this year... I have Australia and some generic green one, but new for this year I also have Cleopatra, Bengal Tiger and Pink Sunburst.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here