Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyinwv

when do thye sprout ?

tammyinwv
19 years ago

When do cannas sprout that havent been dug for winter?

Comments (6)

• DARLENE_TN
    19 years ago

THEY WILL SPROUT WHEN YOUR TEMPERATURES RISE TO 50" OR HIGHER AND STAY STEADY. HERE IN TENNESSEE MINE ARE COMING UP NOW. SOME JUST POKING THRU THE GROUND AND OTHERS ARE 8-12" TALL. SOME HAVEN'T COME UP YET.
    DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF CANNA TOO! SOME ARE LATE BLOOMERS.
    THEY SHOULD ALL BE UP WITHIN THE NEXT MONTH. BE PATIENT AS SOME ARE LAZY
    DARLENE

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks Darlene.I grew a common red one last yr and didnt see any sign of it yet.I couldnt remember when it came up last yr.
    Tammy

• JohnnieB
    19 years ago

In zone 6, you're gambling by leaving them in the ground--they are marginal in zone 7 so they will need a heavy mulch, a mild winter, and some luck to make it! I've had very bad luck leaving them in the ground through the last 3 winters--good thing I always bring a few in for insurance!

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    19 years ago

There are some old homes near me that have the common red canna growing in the front.They grow with absolute neglect and return every yr. I dont know if this common variety is more hardy than the named ones or not. This one red one I have is really the only experience I have had with them.I didnt think I would care much for them,but after looking at some pics of the variagated and bright colored ones,I have definitely changed my mind. I am hoping to trade for some. If I am lucky then I will definitely dig to be on the safe side.
    Tammy

• DARLENE_TN
    19 years ago

TAMMY,
    KEEP MY EMAIL AND HOLLAR AT ME THE END OF MAY. I WILL HAVE SOME RHIZOMES FOR YOU!!
    THIS SUNDAY I WILL HAVE GREEN LEAF RED BLOOM & GREEN LEAF ORANGE BLOOM!!
    I PLANTED SOME AT MY SISTER-IN-LAWS HOUSE 2 YEARS AGO AND SHE DOESN'T LIKE THEM!!! THE ONLY ONE SHE WANTED TO KEEP WAS LUCIFER! SO SHE KEEPS MOVING THEM DOWN....I AM GOING ON SUNDAY TO DIG THEM ALL UP!
    SHES THE ONLY PERSON I EVER MET THAT JUST DID NOT LIKE CANNAS!!
    MINE COME BACK EVERY YEAR. I AM NOT DIGGING THEM UP! I WILL BUY OR TRADE FOR MORE FIRST!! LOL
    DARLENE

• flowerpower326
    19 years ago

Didn't dig mine either.Was told they could stay in all winter,but finding out it's not so.Going to try to dig them tomorrow and dry them out a little. I hope they survive b/c they were gorgeous last year and my Mom wants some- so I'm praying:)If they survive I'm going to pst the seeds for trade. Can't wait.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor