Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna Questions.....I probably just need more patience!

Posted by theartist z8 La (mcgraw-art@cox.net) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 9:11

Hi all,
I am in the deep south, in Louisiana. I put about 18 Cannas (tubers?) in the ground about 3-4 weeks ago and. I see one peeking out of the ground this morning. Some in large pots are also shooting up. How long should one give Cannas to 'spring up'???? Also, I know they love water but how often should you water the tubers, before they start to come up as I do not want them to rot???? Thanks so much for all your answers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna Questions.....I probably just need more patience!

Due to your location, soil temperatures are not an issue. Planting depth will definitely contribute to slow emergence; one to three inches deep is best. The soil only needs to be slightly damp until the plant develops a few leaves. Cool, water saturated soil definitely will contribute to rhizome decay.
Had the rhizomes produced swollen eyes before planting? Were the rhizomes in good condition at planting time? What was the source of your planting stock?
You may need to gently lift a couple of the rhizomes and check their state of health. They definitely should be producing underground growth after 3 to 4 weeks!

Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here