Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tops on canna leaves

Posted by daylilly_mama SC8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 12, 06 at 10:04

I understand that leaf rollers eat away at the leaves and leave holes in the leaves. But do they eat away at the tops of leaves? Because it looks as though a rabbit has been eating away at the leaves on my canna.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tops on canna leaves

Leaf rollers actually just eat the epidermis off the leaves, leaving them transparent. They don't eat all the way thru the leaves.

When the leafroller moth sews the leaves shut with her silken threads, the stitches will leave a row of holes as the leaves grow. But they'll be little dotted rows. They won't look like something has bitten the tops off of them.

You probably have slugs or rabbits or some other varmint nibbling on your cannas. Or even grasshoppers if you have any of those yet. Those rascals do their best to eat up my gardens each summer.

You can mix up a little cayenne pepper (just a little!!) in a spray bottle of water and spritz your plants. It will burn the varmints mouths and they'll leave your plants alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here