Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slfairless

When to plant in zone 5?

slfairless
16 years ago

I'm wondering when you guys normally plant your canna into the ground? I'm in SE MI and I usually try to wait until around June 1st to plant mine. It kills me to wait so long and I could get flowers much earlier if I could start them sooner. I plan to test a few this spring by planting in stages but I'm wondering how the rest of you do it. I have a lot of new varieties that I don't want to chance losing.

Is it the moisture, cold, frost, or all of the above that kills them if you plant too early? Could I plant them now if I mulch them well and make sure to cover if we get a frost? Or give them extra protection if the temps dip below freezing? The two companies I've ordered new canna from have already shipped to me and they say they ship at the best planting time.

Thanks!

SF

Comments (10)

• Downeastmd
    16 years ago

I would start them in pots or planters first so you have options if the weather turns sour, pay attention to your weather forcast as far as the overnight lows are concerned. Once you get to consistent lows from mid 40's to low fifties you should be pretty safe. mulching over them will help if its needed. You would have to have some prolonged freezing to do some serious damage. I put some rhizomes in the ground a couple weeks ago and they are already starting to come up. Good luck.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

i plant mine in the middle of May. in the ground, no pots. The earliest I've done it is May 5th.

• watergal
    16 years ago

I always start mine indoors in pots. I am lucky that I have some warm, bright windows. They definitely get bigger sooner because of the head start.

• slfairless
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I potted a few to help me hold off for a few... maybe if the warm weather sticks around for a bit I'll plant some outside. Thanks!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    16 years ago

Any other Zone 5'ers? I was wondering this same thing and decided to see if someone had posted the question first. The end of May is so busy with other perennials: I'd like to get it done, and hopefully see earlier bloom.

• slfairless
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I uncovered my red stripe to find that a few of the rhizomes had 1' tall sprouts on them already (no water, soil, or sun shine) so I planted about a dozen of those and I also planted a half dozen Stuttgart. I really hope I don't lose any Stuttgart but they are such slow growers in part sun that every extra week in the ground counts! I may put some black rubber down near the Stuttart to help heat up the ground.

• midnightgirl
    16 years ago

I planted mine (in Zone 4) several weeks ago. I've been lucky so far as far as no frost (nights are around 50 for lows - days in 80's) and so far my tallest of the 2 I planted is about 4" out of the ground.

Its my first year growing cannas so I'm very excited!

• Grancru
    16 years ago

I have mine almost all planted in pots with only a couple in the ground. If you think there may be frost just cover them. Above 40 and they will be fine just wont do much until it warms up. They can use every extra day possible outside here in MI.

• slfairless
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have about 30% of mine planted and only a few are showing any growth. Better pull them inside or cover those in the ground cuz I think there is going to be a frost warning tonight :(

• digsalot
    16 years ago

Zone 5-B here. Since our last average frost date is May, 15, I plant mid April and an inch or so deeper than normal.

By the time the shoots emerge above ground where they are in danger from the cold, it is nearing the last average frost date. If there is a cold snap after they emerge, just throw a couple hands full of leaves or mulch over them.

Never lost one yet.

I grow, Cleopatra, Walden Pond, Golden Glow, Cincinnati, Biaritz and, of course, Red Presidents.

Biaritz needs the longest head start as it grows 12ft before blooming. Bronze leaves and orange flower, sort of a "Wyoming" on steroids.

I've tacked on a page from my website which might help. (no, I don't sell anything :)

Good luck
    Digs

Here is a link that might be useful: growing canna lilies