Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whats eating my canna leafs? what do i do?

Posted by DARLENE_TN Z7 knoxville TN (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 10:28

HELP! MY CANNA LEAVES NO SOONER EMERGE FROM THE GROUND AND SOMETHING IS EATING THEM!! :+( PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THIS CRITTER IS AND HOW DO GET RID OF IT FOR GOOD!!
HERE'S SOME PICTURES OF THE DAMAGE.

ANY HELP IS SO MUCH APPRECIATED
DARLENE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whats eating my canna leafs? what do i do?

Hi Darlene, You could either have leafrollers or slugs or possibly both. I would spread a slug bait around and buy Sevin bug spray. Spray the top and bottom of the leaves it worked well for me last year. Or there are organic methods you can do a search for. Good Luck. Tara

o

Thats definitly slug/snail damage. That happens to my brugs in the ground that start emerging. I have had great success with something called EscarGo. It's safe for kids & animals (except slugs/snails)unlike the ortho slug bait. You can get it at Gardens Alive.

X

o

• Posted by rokal LongIsland/z6b (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 16:22

I order EscarGo from Gardens Alive over a month ago and I am still waiting for delivery. Estimated ship date is 4/28. I am very disappointed with their service. Oh, well!

o

You can also try diatomaceous earth -- available at any hardware or gardening store. Sprinkle it on the ground around the canna (or hosta or whatever) and it kills the slugs as they crawl across it.

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here