Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

I started my cannas this past week

jroot
18 years ago

I started my cannas and dahlias this past week under lights, and already have 19 cannas sprouting. I still have two large bags of roots that I have not started at all, and frankly don't know where I would put them, if they did start up.

I presume I can compost these okay. Any comments on the composting?

Comments (9)

• lakemayor
    18 years ago

What do you do with these canna? Do you grow them in pots during the summer or after they root do you put them into your flower beds? Here in Michigan I can't really plant canna outside until around June or they will just sit there and do nothing or maybe rot. They just don't really grow until the ground is nice and warm. I have started them in big flower pots in the house to use on my deck and that works well. I just wondered what you do with yours after you have sprouted them in the house?

• jroot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I keep them in pots until the soil is warm enough. I agree with your date of June in our area as well. However, when they are sprouting in my basement, ( and I have a bag with sprouts at least 2 feet long which I will not use as I have too many), then I felt that I should pot them up. I will keep them in the house until it warms up a little outside, and then move them in and out of the garage until planting time. That's what I do with my dahlia, figs, and brugmansia as well. ' Kinda keeps a fella in shape, and keeps the doctor away, ...I hope!

• jroot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just checked and there are 19 shoots up. I'll have to transplant soon, and take up to the living area.

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Hi John

What kind of cannas do you have too many of?? I might be interested in taking some off your hands :o)

The RBG is also taking donations of plants for the plant sale .. you know the table .. "From my garden to yours" I could meet you some place and take them to the RBG for you.

LMK
    Laura

• capehlke
    18 years ago

Like Laura said, what did you do with your extras? I'm sure you could give them away instead of composting. I know there's a few varieties I'm looking for and make it to the tri-cities area frequently.

• jroot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They are mainly un-named red flowered canna. I have some with red foliage, and some with green foliage. The Bengal Tiger is up as of today, but I only have 2 of these which I want to keep.

You are right, I can always give some away, which I did tonight to a gardener friend down the road.

• jroot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here are a few. Shelves of geraniums have to go out soon to acclimatize to the bright sun as well.

{{gwi:530561}}

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

Jroot....It's going to be time to start potting them up soon :-)

• janinecollette
    16 years ago

I started mine as well. Although this is my first year starting them in pots inside. I'm hoping they will sprout up as I just have them on my brighest window sill, which is about 8 feet long :) Think they will do ok?

I also did purchase grow bulbs, I'm planning on putting them in a couple of lamps in the room. Hopefully, that will help!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery